New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    My DSL internet subscription is with PLDT and with it comes a black box. It is connected to my main PC. Now I just recently bought a netbook. My questions are:

1. What do you call that black box?
    2. Can this be purchased from a PC store? I want to have a second one, if in case the one I have will die on me.
    3. Can I install a router (like a PCI card) on my PC to recognize my netbook, if I want to have a wireless connection on my netbook? Is there such a PCI card-router?
    4. I have seen such PCI card with an antenna, is this a router?

BTW, I'm not an IT person .... I just know how to install, especially when required to click "next," "Next,".......

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    1. The black box is called a DSL modem. Kung familiar ka sa dial up, parang ganun din yun.

2. I'm not aware of a store here that sells it but it IS available abroad. But why buy a stand by one? Those things are quite sturdy huwag lang mag overheat or tamaan ng kidlat and pag nasira, papalitan nila yan dahil technically kanila yan, nire rent mo lang.

3. Yes, puwede. It's not a card though. It's another box with an antenna called a wireless router. And it plugs in BEFORE your DSL modem. Meaning, if you have one properly configured already, theoretically you can still have internet kahit masira ang DSL modem mo (see #2). At mas mura pa siya kesa sa DSL modem, yun nga lang, kailangan pa siya i set up using your 'cabled' computer. BTW, put a password if you don't want your neighbors using your internet connection or trying to hack into your computer.

4. No, that's a wireless LAN card. Kumbaga sa radio, yung wirless router ang nagbo broadcast at yung wireless LAN card ang nagre recieve. Most Netbooks have them built-in though so you don't really need to buy 1 -- just set it up. In fact, kung swerte ka, pag on mo pa lang nung router ma de detect na nung netbook yung signal niya pag bukas mo. Huwag mo lang kalimutan i set up pa din ang wireless router for security.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    What is the brand of the black box? Zyxel ba?

Yes, you can network your house just like the ones you see in gaming shops. You can even go wireless. Just go for a wireless router. You can purchase one at CD-R King. The more antennas the router has the better because it'll increase your reception and range. By the way, you can also opt to have a bigger antenna since the antenna is detachable. Once you get a router, get a bigger antenna.

Most laptops nowadays already have wireless fidelity aka wifi. You can check if your laptop has one because it's mostly indicated in the sticker of your laptop. It'll display the specs there. If not, check your Device Manager or simply go to your Network Connections.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    2. I'm not aware of a store here that sells it but it IS available abroad. But why buy a stand by one? Those things are quite sturdy huwag lang mag overheat or tamaan ng kidlat and pag nasira, papalitan nila yan dahil technically kanila yan, nire rent mo lang.
    For old subscribers yata, nire-rentahan lang. I had my DSL connection installed last May 2009, and I paid 1.2k for the Zyxel modem.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post

i installed my wireless router AFTER the DSL modem. it worked for 2 years now.

so which is which? before or after the DSl modem?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    i installed my wireless router AFTER the DSL modem. it worked for 2 years now.

so which is which? before or after the DSl modem?
    it's working for two years so it means tama yun ginawa mo diba?

the router should be after the modem...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    1. The black box is called a DSL modem. Kung familiar ka sa dial up, parang ganun din yun.

3. Yes, puwede. It's not a card though. It's another box with an antenna called a wireless router. And it plugs in BEFORE your DSL modem. Meaning, if you have one properly configured already, theoretically you can still have internet kahit masira ang DSL modem mo (see #2). At mas mura pa siya kesa sa DSL modem, yun nga lang, kailangan pa siya i set up using your 'cabled' computer. BTW, put a password if you don't want your neighbors using your internet connection or trying to hack into your computer.

4. No, that's a wireless LAN card. Kumbaga sa radio, yung wirless router ang nagbo broadcast at yung wireless LAN card ang nagre recieve. Most Netbooks have them built-in though so you don't really need to buy 1 -- just set it up. In fact, kung swerte ka, pag on mo pa lang nung router ma de detect na nung netbook yung signal niya pag bukas mo. Huwag mo lang kalimutan i set up pa din ang wireless router for security.
    You got #1 and #4 right.

2. Not all DSL modems from PLDT are rented. In fact, my 2-year-old DSL modem was worth Php1,200 (but at the time, its cost was waived because of the promo )

3. Medyo nalito ako sa sagot ni pup2. Ganito na lang... since attyallanlatras asked:

3. Can I install a router (like a PCI card) on my PC to recognize my netbook, if I want to have a wireless connection on my netbook? Is there such a PCI card-router?
    My answer: You don't install a router on your PC, you install a router on the network (which you don't have right now, I assume).

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK, all netbooks have Wifi capability, so you will only need a WIRELESS ROUTER so that your netbook can connect wirelessly to the internet.

If you have desktop PC's that connect via LAN cable, your WIRELESS ROUTER should come with LAN ports (usually these have 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port which connects directly to the DSL modem).

So here's what your setup would look like, where the globe/Internet icon represents your DSL modem (router is a Hurricane 5305G):

Note that this diagram also has Desktop PC's that have Wireless network adapters, which may be PCI cards (CD-R King used to have them, but now they only have the USB-type ones) or USB devices, like this:

HTH.
    Last edited by woohoo; June 24th, 2009 at 09:29 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Thanks mga bossing for your very informative replies. One question lang po. If I buy a router, can I ask the technicians in the store to configure it since parang sa mga replies configuring it is necessary. Should I bring my CPU (ATX) for the configuration process or not?

By the way, another question, my room where I intend to use my netbook is located quite far (15 meters away) from my sala where my main PC is placed, will the wireless connection still possible. I don't intend to have wires on my house, other than those already existing. Will I have to open always the door of my room so that my internet connection will run?

BTW, I have an existing telephone connection in my room aside from the sale. Is there a way to use it for my internet connection? I sometimes transfer the black box (PLDT-Modem) there so that I can use my netbook for internet through wired connection.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Add ko lang...

Just browsed the net and I run across (Fine Upgrades) FU Powerline 200M Ethernet Bridge, which uses electrical lines for network connections. A similar version is available in CDR King- Powerline Ethernet Bridge Set (ZA-P1) 85Mbps. My question is are these reliable?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Add ko lang...

Just browsed the net and I run across (Fine Upgrades) FU Powerline 200M Ethernet Bridge, which uses electrical lines for network connections. A similar version is available in CDR King- Powerline Ethernet Bridge Set (ZA-P1) 85Mbps. My question is are these reliable?
    Yes, I think they are, although I haven't tried them yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Questions on PLDT- DSL