New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I bought and installed a 500gb samsung HDD as my 2nd HDD. my 1st HDD is western digital.

I believe it is a SATAII drive and my motherboard (AliveMF7g-HD720) supports SATA II. The samsung HDD can be detected by the system and i was able to partion, format and put files into it.

the problem is that whenever i restart my pc, booting takes forever, windows explorer hangs and all the files i put in the 2nd HDD disappears. after doing reformatting and seemingly able to fix the problem, it happen again every reboot.

then i removed the 2nd HDD and everything is normal again.

what is the problem here?

should i just buy an enclosure and use the 2nd HDD as an external hard drive since its purpose is for back up? if so, are CDR king enclosures OK?
    Last edited by fourtheboys96; January 14th, 2010 at 12:14 AM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not return the Samsung and get another WD HDD as a replacement?

Using a USB to connect your HDD wil make it run like a snail when it could perform much faster.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    i don't know if i can return something i bought that is not defective.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by fourtheboys96 View Post
    i don't know if i can return something i bought that is not defective.
    many stores allow replacement for another item.

Since you are asking for a replacement and not a refund, it might be acceptable for the store.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 14th, 2010 at 10:04 AM.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Why not return the Samsung and get another WD HDD as a replacement?

Using a USB to connect your HDD wil make it run like a snail when it could perform much faster.
    He could enable SATA mode so he can use an external SATA cable assuming the enclosure has a SATA port in addition to USB2.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    He could enable SATA mode so he can use an external SATA cable assuming the enclosure has a SATA port in addition to USB2.
    Assuming it supports that mode.

But I still prefer a simpler solution, just change the HDD to another brand/model if possible.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Assuming it supports that mode.

But I still prefer a simpler solution, just change the HDD to another brand/model if possible.
    He can try exchanging the Samsung for a WD. But, I don't know if that will make any difference. I've never seen too many differences among different hard drive brands.

I'm inclined to think it's a bios setting. But, let's see him exchange the drive first and see if it works.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Ok guys this is what I've done since my last post.

I searched for an enclosure but found none that can support up to 500gb. What I bought in CDR King was a docking station with USB and eSATA ports. I was able to copy my files into the hard drive. But after re-starting the PC, the problem occurred again. Then suddently, the hard drive cannot be detected via the docking station nor the motherboard.

I returned it and he store replaced the hard drive (same model) immediately.

I installed the new HDD in the mobo and it works perfectly.

so many late nights wasted waiting trying to figure out the problem. positive thing is that i learned some thing tinkering with the PC.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    since newly purchased yung hdd, you should've had it replaced agad at the first sign of trouble.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    since newly purchased yung hdd, you should've had it replaced agad at the first sign of trouble.
    what if the problem is with the motherboard? i tried isolating the problem first. my motherboard isn't new so it's possible it is the problem.

Problem with my 2nd SATA HDD - should I just use an enclosure