New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    after typhoon santi hit central luzon a few years ago i bought a small gasoline generator, two 80w solar panels, a charge controller and 100AH solarmaster lead-acid

up to now i haven't been able to use them in an actual emergency
    Sir dapat ma "exercise" mga yan. Parang kotse. Dapat ini start paminsan minsan.

Or maybe you were referring to actual use in an actual emergency.

But, better prepared than need them tapos wala ka.

May gasoline generator din sa bahay. Paminsan minsan I turn it on. Para uminit lang makina. At di mapanis ang gaso. Tsaka baka bahayan ng mababait.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka View Post
    "not powerbank" means the USB is dead if it's not plugged to the wall. doesn't work as a powerbank

this is my favorite powerbank by far. Miller ML-102. and as many 18650's as you can afford. 5-bar fuel gauge is convenient to read

Ganda nyan vodka ah. San meron nyan? Can it also charge the 18650 plugged to it via USB source?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Punta ka Raon dami dun solar set or sa HMR meron din medyo good quality, then bili ka ng LM7805 voltage regulator sa Deeco o Alexan then kabit mo sa 12V VRLA battery ng solar mo. Then buy ka online ng charge controller ng 18650 like this one https://shopee.ph/2Pcs-5V-1A-18650-T...iABEgIgQvD_BwE, voila! meron kana charger ng vape mo. You may now hug the tree..lol
    Speaking of vape, may news item kanina, nasabugan ng vape sa bibig. Warak bibig at tanggal mga ngipin. Battery problem ata.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    Speaking of vape, may news item kanina, nasabugan ng vape sa bibig. Warak bibig at tanggal mga ngipin. Battery problem ata.
    I feel sorry for the dude for all the pain he's enduring. But even more so, he's now permanently disfigured. There's only so much plastic surgery can do.

I tend to stay away from office colleagues when they "light up". Force of habit, I guess.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I feel sorry for the dude for all the pain he's enduring. But even more so, he's now permanently disfigured. There's only so much plastic surgery can do.

I tend to stay away from office colleagues when they "light up". Force of habit, I guess.
    Function and form.

Bibig nasabugan. Mahirap kumain, huminga, magsalita. Sa society natin na importante ang itsura, tsk.

Na online bully pa raw yung guy. As per news story. Not sure how.

Bababa sales ng vape.

BTT: naisip ko maglagay ng solar panel sa bubong ng pickup ko. It's always exposed to the sun naman. Sayang not to harness free energy. Just thinking of the design and panels available. Wala pa kasi available dito sa atin na thin and malambot na panel than will follow the contour of the roof. Kung meron man mahal.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    if you wish to go to the extreme, there's the bed out back...
    if you have a bed cover, you can put the panels on it...

there used to be an accessory being sold before.
    it was a solar panel placed behind the glass, connected to the cigarette lighter.. to trickle-charge the battery.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 2nd, 2018 at 01:18 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by remzam View Post
    BTT: naisip ko maglagay ng solar panel sa bubong ng pickup ko. It's always exposed to the sun naman. Sayang not to harness free energy. Just thinking of the design and panels available. Wala pa kasi available dito sa atin na thin and malambot na panel than will follow the contour of the roof. Kung meron man mahal.
    Think of the purpose first. What do you intend to do with the captured solar energy? Consider also that your vehicle (with an internal combustion engine) is already generating practically unlimited power when it's running.

The only time the solar panels would make sense would be when the engine is not running. It can probably operate a cooler-a-ma-jig to cool down the vehicle cabin while it's parked under the sun. It can be useful as well on camping trips. Other than that, the vehicle's engine is capable of providing more power than all the solar panels you can fit on the vehicle... when it's running.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Think of the purpose first. What do you intend to do with the captured solar energy? Consider also that your vehicle (with an internal combustion engine) is already generating practically unlimited power when it's running.

The only time the solar panels would make sense would be when the engine is not running. It can probably operate a cooler-a-ma-jig to cool down the vehicle cabin while it's parked under the sun. It can be useful as well on camping trips. Other than that, the vehicle's engine is capable of providing more power than all the solar panels you can fit on the vehicle... when it's running.
    One possible thing that came to my mind is thermoelectric refrigeration / air conditioning. Peltier modules are expensive but has no moving parts and this makes it an ideal project when paired with solar energy.

I believe the greatest hurdle is the design. You have to integrate it with the existing fan so that it won't be messy to look at. Where to place the modules and how to reroute the heat rejected will be a difficult task.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2013

I won't be connecting it to the battery of the car. I know the engine is capable enough of fully charging the batt while running.

Plan is to hook up a second battery isolated to the main batt.

I car camp and do backpacking as well. The second battery will be used for auxiliary lights and charging devices when stationary in a campsite or a beach or wherever. That way, I won't be draining the car's battery and risk of not being able to start the engine when needed.

The truck can be a semi camper with ready electricity when needed.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if you wish to go to the extreme, there's the bed out back...
    if you have a bed cover, you can put the panels on it...

there used to be an accessory being sold before.
    it was a solar panel placed behind the glass, connected to the cigarette lighter.. to trickle-charge the battery.
    Doc I have a roller lid so the cover isn't viable for the panel. Don't want to use the bed as it is useful for hauling stuff.

Maybe this is just a proof of concept thing or a design exercise good for a project eventually.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Preparing for another disaster (Solar Charger for cellphone/smartphone/laptop)