New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Anyone here tried using Powerlines (Power Over Ethernet)? If so, what's your experience and is this better AC wifi connection?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    Anyone here tried using Powerlines (Power Over Ethernet)? If so, what's your experience and is this better AC wifi connection?
    Powerline Ethernet adapters or Homeplugs are not PoE. They're not even in the same universe.

But to answer your query, performance typically depends on a number of factors; The condition of your house wiring, presence of line noise (from electrically noisy appliances), distance between the near- and far-end plugs, whether or not they're separated by a breaker box or if they're in a different circuit, etc.

I consider powerline adapters as last resort. I'd only consider it when laying down a new LAN cable is impractical or if nothing can be done to add a WiFi AP at the new site.
    Last edited by oj88; February 22nd, 2017 at 10:38 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Powerline Ethernet adapters or Homeplugs are not PoE. They're not even in the same universe.

But to answer your query, performance typically depends on a number of factors; The condition of your house wiring, presence of line noise (from electrically noisy appliances), distance between the near- and far-end plugs, whether or not they're separated by a breaker box or if they're in a different circuit, etc.

I consider powerline adapters as last resort. I'd only consider it when laying down a new LAN cable is impractical or if nothing can be done to add a WiFi AP at the new site.
    PoE paps means your ethernet device (ie IP phone) will now be dependent sa external power adapter na, instead it will get its power from the ethernet cable.

Di sya paps yung powerline communications (ie SCADA).

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Sorry for my ignorance on POE.... Yun kasi ang sabi ng sale rep sa akin... If only we have a similar return policy sa US, it would have been good to try installing a powerline sa bahay ko.... mahina na kasi signal to my room despite the fact na meron na akong wifi extender (Tenda High Powered Wifi Extender) between my room (which is often close due to aircon) and the main router..... What if palitan ko yung extender na may penetrating capacity para kahit close yung room ko e malakas parin ang signal and I will transfer the existing Wifi Extender to my room para sya ang kukuha and mag-receive sa WIFI signal... Ok kaya ito? Also what WIFI extender has a good penetrating capabilities?

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vvti2.0 View Post
    PoE paps means your ethernet device (ie IP phone) will now be dependent sa external power adapter na, instead it will get its power from the ethernet cable.

Di sya paps yung powerline communications (ie SCADA).
    Yes, I know that. Did you mean to reply to the OP?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Sorry for my ignorance on POE.... Yun kasi ang sabi ng sale rep sa akin... If only we have a similar return policy sa US, it would have been good to try installing a powerline sa bahay ko.... mahina na kasi signal to my room despite the fact na meron na akong wifi extender (Tenda High Powered Wifi Extender) between my room (which is often close due to aircon) and the main router..... What if palitan ko yung extender na may penetrating capacity para kahit close yung room ko e malakas parin ang signal and I will transfer the existing Wifi Extender to my room para sya ang kukuha and mag-receive sa WIFI signal... Ok kaya ito? Also what WIFI extender has a good penetrating capabilities?
    Is laying down a new cable and adding a 2nd access point not feasible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Dun sa store na bibilhan mo i challenge mo sila, e extend kamo ang internet nila using Powerline. Then check mo speed kung ung connection mo using wifi ng router, at speed pag sa Powerline.

Sent from my Lenovo PB2-650M using Tsikot Forums mobile app

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    If the antenna of your wifi extender is adjustable try to reorient it to boost the wifi signal in your room

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tsikot Forums mobile app