New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have a software which requires to edit the registry under windows (by the way my OS is XP Pro). But, every time it attempt to do so, I receive this message: "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator." I own the computer so I am the supposed administrator, right? Please help

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Go to START > RUN

Type: gpedit.msc and click OK

On the left pane, go to ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > SYSTEM

On the right pane, look for the PREVENT ACCESS TO REGISTRY EDITING TOOLS entry, right click on it and click PROPERTIES

Set it to either NOT CONFIGURED or DISABLED

click OK and check if registry editing is now enabled

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You have a virus. Registry editing is only disabled when you are the only user when a virus tampers with your registry files. Best to get a good anti-virus and clean it out. You'll need to start from a safe boot-up disk.

If you can't open task manager b y pressing ctrl-alt-del, then it's a sure bet that's what it is.

You can also download this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...-Regedit.shtml

It's a small app that restores reg-edit. You might also want to get its sister app that restores task manager...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    You have a virus. Registry editing is only disabled when you are the only user when a virus tampers with your registry files. Best to get a good anti-virus and clean it out. You'll need to start from a safe boot-up disk.

If you can't open task manager b y pressing ctrl-alt-del, then it's a sure bet that's what it is.

You can also download this: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/S...-Regedit.shtml

It's a small app that restores reg-edit. You might also want to get its sister app that restores task manager...
    I think you are right, it must be a virus. I can not open the task manager with ctrl-alt-del method. BTW, my anti virus is ESET NOD32, whose virus definition is up to date. Is this not a good antivirus application? Since I have no time yet, is this kind of virus fatal to my PC or not?

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I've never heard of that one... I just use AVG and am very careful about what I open.

There are many variants of the virus that kills regedit and taskman, most are non-fatal but pretty annoying. They 're usually found via autorun on flashdrives shared with other users.

Download the taskmanager enabler, then the regedit enabler, then run them. Once you've run the taskmanager enabler, you can kill any virus-like processes... usually rundlls, that are running... then wipe your registry clean (there are instructions online on which command line to fix for the regedit). Run the anti-virus again (but if it didn't catch it before, it probably still won't catch it... in which case, try one with a bigger library, like AVG)... this still isn't a perfect solution... the perfect solution is to start the anti-virus booted from a clean copy of windows... but it'll do for now.

Also, go into your systems settings (it's also in the registry) and turn off autorun. Autorun is a completely useless Piece of S*** that allows simple registry-hacking viruses like this to proliferate.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I've never heard of that one... I just use AVG and am very careful about what I open.

There are many variants of the virus that kills regedit and taskman, most are non-fatal but pretty annoying. They 're usually found via autorun on flashdrives shared with other users.

Download the taskmanager enabler, then the regedit enabler, then run them. Once you've run the taskmanager enabler, you can kill any virus-like processes... usually rundlls, that are running... then wipe your registry clean (there are instructions online on which command line to fix for the regedit). Run the anti-virus again (but if it didn't catch it before, it probably still won't catch it... in which case, try one with a bigger library, like AVG)... this still isn't a perfect solution... the perfect solution is to start the anti-virus booted from a clean copy of windows... but it'll do for now.

Also, go into your systems settings (it's also in the registry) and turn off autorun. Autorun is a completely useless Piece of S*** that allows simple registry-hacking viruses like this to proliferate.
    Thanks for the link which helps restore reg-edit. Any link which helps me restore the task manager? TIA

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Just search for it via google... the author is the same as the author of restore regedit.

Good luck!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    there's a utility called RRT. please search and scan with antivirus. sad to say, your troubles might not end in the system modifications made by the virus. maybe it's still in there.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    replace your antivirus na din... the top 3 free (for non-commercial use) at the moment are Avast, Avira, and AVGFree.

Please help me enable the regedit....