New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    ok ba pioneer dvd recorder w/ 160gb hdd? i'm planning to buy, pero gusto ko makuha muna feedback ng mga meron na nito. ok ba picture & sound quality ng recording? pls. advice.

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    depends... I'd rather have a computer with a TV tuner to record the shows.

My PC Project: VHS PC

http://www.gadgets.ph/tech/showthread.php?t=3673
    Last edited by ghosthunter; June 6th, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    One good thing about DVD recorders in general is that the video quality beats just about anything similar on a pc plus you have the option to record up to 6 hours vcd format on a dvd disc which is of suprisingly good quality. I have a LiteOn DVD recorder myself. That Pioneer should have TiVo (or at least TiVo-like capability) built in because that's what's the hard drive is for. Plus (I may be wrong on this) that Pioneer should have rudimentary editing functions such as trimming video clips.

My LiteOn doesn't have TiVo or editing functions built in. Of course, that's asking a lot for a < $90 DVD recorder. It does take just about any type of dvd discs and dvd-ram plus it has 2 a/v out (RCA and SVideo) plus progressive scan/optical, 3 a/v in (75-ohm coax, RCA and S-Video), plus a 4-pin firewire port.

I heartily recommend dvd recorders for those with no patience and for those who dont care about fancy menus.

In short, that Pioneer should be a great buy.....

4. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    One good thing about DVD recorders in general is that the video quality beats just about anything similar on a pc plus you have the option to record up to 6 hours vcd format on a dvd disc which is of suprisingly good quality. I have a LiteOn DVD recorder myself. That Pioneer should have TiVo (or at least TiVo-like capability) built in because that's what's the hard drive is for. Plus (I may be wrong on this) that Pioneer should have rudimentary editing functions such as trimming video clips.

My LiteOn doesn't have TiVo or editing functions built in. Of course, that's asking a lot for a < $90 DVD recorder. It does take just about any type of dvd discs and dvd-ram plus it has 2 a/v out (RCA and SVideo) plus progressive scan/optical, 3 a/v in (75-ohm coax, RCA and S-Video), plus a 4-pin firewire port.

I heartily recommend dvd recorders for those with no patience and for those who dont care about fancy menus.

In short, that Pioneer should be a great buy.....
    Try mo JVC DVD RECORDER MODEL DR-M10 same capability but mas mura kay sa Pioneer.And it plays all.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Nasa list of things to buy (if I had the money) ko rin ang DVD recorder. Nasa research mode pa ako ngayon on which to buy.

I will be watching this thread for your comments.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I watch TV from my sat decoder box, which has 2 tuners, an HDD and TiVo. The problem is the system is proprietary, and they don't have one with a DVD recorder ... so I paired it with a Sony DVD recorder (no HDD).

As Jun have said, a DVD recorder beats just about anything similar on a pc. It doesn't need a computer, which is a plus for me. It doesn't have fancy editing, but at least you can cut out unwanted scenes (like commercials) even when recording on a DVD+R. It's great for recording TV shows in countries where they broadcast terrestial TV in widescreen mpeg2 format. It's also great for transferring analog videos (VHS/8mm) into digital.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by StraightSix
    I watch TV from my sat decoder box, which has 2 tuners, an HDD and TiVo. The problem is the system is proprietary, and they don't have one with a DVD recorder ... so I paired it with a Sony DVD recorder (no HDD).

As Jun have said, a DVD recorder beats just about anything similar on a pc. It doesn't need a computer, which is a plus for me. It doesn't have fancy editing, but at least you can cut out unwanted scenes (like commercials) even when recording on a DVD+R. It's great for recording TV shows in countries where they broadcast terrestial TV in widescreen mpeg2 format. It's also great for transferring analog videos (VHS/8mm) into digital.
    My LiteOn doesn't have any editing capabilities at all. But, I minimize overlaps with commercials by careful timing with the pause button.

In any case, I normally use the LiteOn DVD recorder when I want to record movies from HBO or Showtime which are commercial-free. For recording tv shows with commercials in between, I pipe my DirectTV feed to the Video In of my video card and the Line In of my sound card and then record (in mpeg2 format) via a video editing app which is also used to trim off commercials.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto
    My LiteOn doesn't have any editing capabilities at all. But, I minimize overlaps with commercials by careful timing with the pause button.
    My mistake in generalizing ... I should've stated the one I bought regarding the edit functions. The mentioned Pioneer should also have that. Anyway, the Sony's basic editing is good enough for me - selecting the start and end frame. Copying movies to DVD is a lot easier and faster for me now. I also got it at 1/2 price

Pioneer DVD recorder