New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi peeps,

need your advice on what to get. i have been looking for a handheld device that i can use to record picture files from my digital camera and digital camcorder so that i do not need to bring my laptop with me during trips. also since my laptop does not have a firewire cable i can not really upload the records from my camcorder to my laptop. i have been putting off purchase of a desktop computer for some time now and my collection of dv tapes are getting bigger, i really need to trasfer them into dvd disks.

so, is there some handheld device i can get that will allow me to transfer files from my digital camera and also a digital camcorder and allow me to leave my laptop at home? i have been looking at the Vosonic 8360 http://www.vosonic.com/index.php?PA=...=59&kind_id=12 but it only has a usb port. i need one with a firewire port so instead of recording with my camcorder using dv tapes i can then record direct into the device. i checked already this vosonic (S$550 at Lucky Plaza singapore) and it can record video clips from the SD card of the digital camera, but it is limited to 2Gigs only (due to limitations of the FAT32 format and also due to the limited storage of the SD card). but it is very fast transfering files from the sd card though. it can also record strait from the camera using 3RCA cables, but i prefer a firewire connection for better stability.

someone told me an ipod will work, anyone tried this already? i've seen some blogs about the ipod being used this way, they say it drains the ipod battery so fast that it is practically useless (20 minutes to record 1G from an sd card), even for just transfering picture files from a digicam. and you can't connect a camcorder to an ipod either.

any ideas what other alternatives i can consider? is there a pda with usb, firewire, rca, and a 120G hdd out there yet?

tia!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yung bang parang VHS recorder ang gusto mo? I remember that a friend of mine managed to get a Sony (hindi ko alam ang model series and name).

Ang hindi ko lang tanda kung DVD format ba ito or VCD format. Ang alam ko kasi yung DVD format is a proprietory codec.

He transfer files from a VHS player, Video cam (firewire), and even from computer (with playback). Available for analogue (video In and audio In) inputs and digital inputs (firewire). Wala pa itong SD or USB kasi medyo more than 3 years old na yung unit niya.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    An iPod can carry your image and video clips. But, you still need a pc or Mac. You can look at some Archos-branded media devices which should have PC/Mac-independent input interface. But, they'll cost you much more than an iPod. An iPod is really more of a media player than a media recorder.

Personally, I still prefer a desktop/laptop computer for transferring/editing clips because of the better precision and options. If you have usb2, then you can still buy a "video-in" device that records in hi-res. If it's usb1, then you may be limited to lo-res clips.

You can also buy a firewire port adapter that goes into a pc card/PCMCIA slot.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    may mga ext. HDD casing na may mga built-in mem-card readers. usually battery powered (and kung rechargeable battery gamit mo, pwede ring gamitin yung HDD case mismo to charge them via yung mains adaptor nung HDD case). so, depende sa HDD na isasalpak mo yung storage capacity. ofcourse, para nga lang 'to sa mga images mo na nasa card(s). maganda rito, yung ext. HDD (in that specific casing) lang bitbit mo, pag ubos ng space sa mem card, transfer sa HDD then empty mo yung card. hth.
    re firewire connectiviy ng laptop nyo po, meron ata ang Pinnacle na PCMCIA fire-wire adaptor, kung wala ang Pinnacle, I'm sure it's one of those other brands na related sa pc-based video recording/editing.
    Last edited by B2Bomber; June 4th, 2007 at 05:49 AM.

picture and video recorder