New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    For commercial purposes, I would go for geothermal energy at this point. Renewable and we have lots of it in the country. However, it is not being developed because IMO, we get caught up with the more popular renewables (i.e. solar and wind) that is being pushed by other countries.
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I recall during a forum, the Energy Secretary at the time said our problem is that the geothermal sites that are undeveloped can't be developed due to political issues with the NPA and indigenous tribes.
    Not all volcanoes can be tapped for geothermal power, dapat hindi siya active (so Mayon, Taal, Pinatubo, etc. are out), dapat hindi rin corrosive/acidic ang steam na lumalabas (e.g. Pinatubo in the 80s) otherwise tutunawin lang ang mga tubo and lastly dapat pumayag din ang community (geothermal power is not really that "clean", nag-re-release din siya ng heavy metals into the atmosphere and into the water (still cleaner than oil/coal though) and the land around the plant may also suffer from subsidence kasi you are pumping out steam and water out of the ground).

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i'm curious about the maintenance costs; if the solar panels pivot according to the direction of the sun, then me mga motors yan that need to be maintained; solar panels need cleaning, etc etc.

i'd like to see solar power work, but ethanol/biomass/methane has more appeal to me -- cleaner burning, efficient use of waste -- two birds with one stone.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    i'm curious about the maintenance costs; if the solar panels pivot according to the direction of the sun, then me mga motors yan that need to be maintained; solar panels need cleaning, etc etc.

i'd like to see solar power work, but ethanol/biomass/methane has more appeal to me -- cleaner burning, efficient use of waste -- two birds with one stone.
    Methane gas from decomposing animal manure is also like carbon is also a green gas that damage the ozone layer.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    go for nuclear power! or sa dami ng tambay dito, gawa nalang ng stationary bike ang gobyerno attached to a dynamo. sure yan sa dami ng squatters and tambays no need for another solar/coal/wind power plant. bayaran nalang sila per kw produced.

tour de france riders average about 300kw over a 200km road race, final sprint abot sila ng more than 1000kw. so an average person could probably produce about 100kw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12