New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by wowiesy View Post
    across the street?... may maximum effective length ang cat5 cable (in terms of signal strength) using standard switches and hubs... (i'm assuming you are trying to extend your physical network to another branch of office na nasa tapat ng bahay or existing office... )..
    100 meters nga chief as the above post mentioned. After that a repeater will be needed to extend the signal.

An alternative would be to rely on a wireless router plus a wireless repeater. If it's just across the street, just make sure the wireless router can provide ideally 3 bars worth of signal to the repeater on the other side. Kung less than 3 bars just run health checks and see if the reliability of the connection is still good on the other side. Not the best option if transfer speed and stability's a concern but easier to setup and discontinue whenever needed (as opposed to crossing wires from a post and back then remove them after and replace them all over again and such).

Pero kung wired talaga, may nadaanan akong tindahan before na nagbebenta ng STP sa Carriedo, ain't cheap though and again length limits apply.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    dati may nag-suggest sa'min to use RJ45 to BNC then yun ang tutulay sa labas yun BNC cable then BNC again to RJ45. i'm not sure how it is converted pero puwede daw yun

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Delikado kasi sa Lightning or electrostatic ang mga outdoor wired devices. Kahit hindi direct hit ang lightning, basta within vicinity ay nakakasira din ito. Sayang mga ethernet devices.
    Kung almost same price ang magastos mo sa wired and wireless. I prefer wireless. Safe ka sa Electrostatic discharge, mechanical and environmental stress sa wire installed.. No more worry.. just enjoy the connection.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Currently naka wireless network ako. Pero di kaya mag stream ng HD content using wireless. G lang kasi mga routers ko.

Mukhang mahal and delikado sa lightning kapag gagamit ng outdoor cable. Kakayanin kaya if I'll upgrade my routers to wireless N?

Ganito setup ko:

Modem --- wifi router >>> <<< wifi router --- UTP cable to computers.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Currently naka wireless network ako. Pero di kaya mag stream ng HD content using wireless. G lang kasi mga routers ko.

Mukhang mahal and delikado sa lightning kapag gagamit ng outdoor cable. Kakayanin kaya if I'll upgrade my routers to wireless N?

Ganito setup ko:

Modem --- wifi router >>> <<< wifi router --- UTP cable to computers.

The better option is to upgrade to WiFi N but you have to make sure you get 300mbs and not the lower 150mbs wifi N system.

And remember, even with wifi-N, speed decreases with signal strength.

At my home, even my wifi-N setup occassionally pauses/lags with blue-ray/hi-def videos. I am thinking my bottleneck is my LAN.

BTW, although the wifi-N runs at 300mbs, regular LAN only maxes out at 100mbs unless you are running a gigabit lan setup.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think 100mbps is already enough to stream HD content. It's my setup at home and I can watch HD video using WDTV connected (wired) to my home network.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    borrow a friend's wireless-n router and test it.. if it works then you can buy one.. if bottleneck then i think you have to settle with STP cables

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    If you're gonna get an N, make sure it's the 300mbps type.

Asus and Edimax both have Gigabit 300mbps N routers. You can also upgrade its antennae to high-gain type.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Outdoor UTP cable?