New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    While working on my desktop, I noticed some strange somes coming from my avr, which has 3 220 outlets which I use for my monitor, CPU and Printer....with the sounds, i feel it was no longer safe so, i unplug it...my question is are the ordinary AVRs (500 watts daw) ok, which costs in computer stores only around 300.00 petot....or should I consider buying AVRs sold at hardware stores which costs around 1.5k to 2k for a 500W AVR...By the way, whats their difference? TIA....I'm not keen in using UPS by the way.....

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by attyallanlatras View Post
    While working on my desktop, I noticed some strange somes coming from my avr, which has 3 220 outlets which I use for my monitor, CPU and Printer....with the sounds, i feel it was no longer safe so, i unplug it...my question is are the ordinary AVRs (500 watts daw) ok, which costs in computer stores only around 300.00 petot....or should I consider buying AVRs sold at hardware stores which costs around 1.5k to 2k for a 500W AVR...By the way, whats their difference? TIA....I'm not keen in using UPS by the way.....
    AVRs have one purpose which is to maintain the voltage at a constant "range".

AVRs come in two main types: Servo and "step" type.

Servo type has a coil of wire and a mechanical motor which rotates in the coil to keep the output voltage at a certain value. These are usually more expensive, larger and heavy. Voltage output is usually within a couple of volts from specified. You can hear the motor's mechanical gears sound if it's adjusting the output voltage.

Step type AVR are usually cheaper like P300 to P800 each. These contain a set of relays or transistors which keeps the output voltage in a certain range of value. Example of the steps might be: 160-180, 180-200, 200-220, 220-240, 240-260 volts. Each of these range is controlled by a transistor or relay inside. So if you hear a click on a relay type AVR, it means it is switching from one voltage range to the next up or down range. It is not as accurate in voltage output.

Which is better? ... Servo types are better especially if you live in an area where the voltage fluctuates a lot (like near factories, etc).

There are cheaper UPSs out on the market at the same price level as the servo AVRs (under P2K). They are fine but typically require a battery replacement every 12 to 18 months.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    i've used the step type a lot in the past - costs around 300 to 500 in stores - and had no problems naman. i can usually hear the clicks when the voltage fluctuates, which happens about once a month.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

For regular PC use, and if you don't experience frequent voltage fluctuations in your area, then I guess the second option will be just right... I am using one right now....

8505:bat:

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    To answer the question, yes an ordinary avr would work, although I would choose the ones sold on computer stores over those sold at hardwares.

I know you're not keen on using a UPS... but please allow me, for the benefit of those who might be in similar situation as you are...

My suggestions...

1. For a PC yet to be built, why not specify instead a power supply unit which has a multi-volt input capability. For instance, a HEC 550W Win+ Power has a variable input voltage of 100-240VAC and 50-60Hz. You won't even need an external AVR at all whe you have this PSU. What's more if you have plans to upgrade to a better video card (i.e., pci-e ATI Radeon 4870 and below) this psu's power rating and cables can accomodate it.

cons: this type of psu costs around P3k

2: For existing computers, if you add around P1500 to your ordinary avr budget you can get an APC uninterrptible power supply (ups.) My 500W APC at home powers one of my desktops, printer, LCD monitor, SmartBro and router. My other desktop is protected by another brand ups (forgot the brand.)

cons: again, budget. This 500W APC ups cost from P1800 to P2200 depending on computer store.

These ups have saved my data in my two desktops at home during power disturbances several times already. They also isolate my computers from electrical stresses as occurred during power interruptions and transient voltage surges (caused by load switching inside the house.)

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Dati I used to use AVR's on several computers. I had 1 unit without an AVR but rather a surge protector only. I never had a problem with ANY of them but one time, a lightning bolt made a near-hit and broke all the power supplies ... except the one with the surge protector.

Ordinary AVR for Desktop PC, ok lang?