New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: What is your preferred type of mobile phone?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Candy Bar

11 40.74%
  • Slider

2 7.41%
  • Fold / Clamshell

0 0%
  • Touchscreen (ie: iPhone & similar)

12 44.44%
  • Whatever type as long as it's free.

2 7.41%
  • I don't use mobile phones.

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    say all you want about the iphone, but i love it! :D

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Peace to you, too. Thought I better start with it. But now I have to break my word ...

The reasons you gave to consider the iPhone as revolutionary were just applications ... applications that are available for other phones as well.

For navigation, the iPhone is good enough when you're walking. But Apple has a restriction on applications which effectively meant it (the navigation software) cannot have voice-guided directions.

Full-blown satnav applications have been available on older phones - I've got Tomtom Navigatior on my SE P910i with an external receiver. It has voice instructions and yes, you can call the restaurant without quitting the navigation app.

Web videos are nothing new. Google maps have been around for some time. A lot of older phones can run it. Again, it's just an application. In a country which has the highest ratio of cameras per person, online access to some of them isn't new. Even cops are getting lazy and rely on cameras so much.

Wider screen? Your P900 has it. How old is that phone, anyway? I had my P800 when it first came out in 2003. Wide screen, touch screen, music, photos, videos ... what did I miss?

I know AT&T got a lot of flak from iPhone 3G users regarding data speeds, as it seems its 3G network is not yet that mature. I've had one of the earliest UK 3G phones on the 3 network. Video calls? In a country with good 3G coverage, it was too much hype, too.

Don't get me wrong ... the iPhone 3G is a good device. I have one and I even like it (for making phone calls ). I just don't agree it's "revolutionary" as to make me sing all praises. It has an edge over others in some areas, but that's just it - the same way other phones have an edge over it.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    slider din just the same reason as Gh's.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    StraightSix;1229781]Peace to you, too. Thought I better start with it. But now I have to break my word ...

The reasons you gave to consider the iPhone as revolutionary were just applications ... applications that are available for other phones as well.
    Earlier touch screen phones uses a stylus to pick apps. Iphone eliminated the pointer and simplified it by finger touch. It may not be new but it is significant. Moreso, the edgy look and feel is a cut above pre-existing phone designs.

For navigation, the iPhone is good enough when you're walking. But Apple has a restriction on applications which effectively meant it (the navigation software) cannot have voice-guided directions.
    Not yet. Wait till the next IPhone 3G update 3.0 comes out on June or July. They say it will be having turn by turn directions with a ***y voice telling you where to go(x fingers ).

Full-blown satnav applications have been available on older phones - I've got Tomtom Navigatior on my SE P910i with an external receiver. It has voice instructions and yes, you can call the restaurant without quitting the navigation app.
    True, but current ones are built in free. No more tweaking with your device. Making it less buggy.

Web videos are nothing new. Google maps have been around for some time. A lot of older phones can run it. Again, it's just an application. In a country which has the highest ratio of cameras per person, online access to some of them isn't new. Even cops are getting lazy and rely on cameras so much.
    Isn't that a great feature specially if your phone have a wider screen.

Wider screen? Your P900 has it. How old is that phone, anyway? I had my P800 when it first came out in 2003. Wide screen, touch screen, music, photos, videos ... what did I miss?
    Yup. But latest products have better resolutions compared to earlier ones.

I know AT&T got a lot of flak from iPhone 3G users regarding data speeds, as it seems its 3G network is not yet that mature. I've had one of the earliest UK 3G phones on the 3 network. Video calls? In a country with good 3G coverage, it was too much hype, too.
    True in some areas (reg 3G speeds). That does not stop people from buying IPhones. Here's a stat:
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._each_day.html

Don't get me wrong ... the iPhone 3G is a good device. I have one and I even like it (for making phone calls ). I just don't agree it's "revolutionary" as to make me sing all praises. It has an edge over others in some areas, but that's just it - the same way other phones have an edge over it.
    It's not an end all device. It's the device of the moment that even foreign governments are negotiating to have it available for their countrymen.

Good points S6 Whatever device form preference it may be, as long as it is usable, functional and convenient, the user will always come out the winner.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchtower View Post
    I'm a bit interested to see and compare Palm Pre against the upcoming IPhone release this June. Palm Pre is touch screen slidder querty keyboard fusion.

What do you think guys?
    looks promising, even my brother who works for qualcomm R&D department say its nice
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQzCd2OnoM"]YouTube - Palm Pre review - better than the iPhone?[/ame]

its kinda interesting on the wireless charger "touch stone plug"
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEoeGqR2cfk"]YouTube - Palm Pre 11 Touch Stone[/ame]

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    *frenchtower - Good points there, too. But to be revolutionary it has to be radically new or innovative.

You may have a stylus on earlier touch screens, but that doesn't mean you can't use your finger. Sliding your finger across a touch screen may be revolutionary to some, I see it only as an improvement over finger-tapping on a screen.

Navigation applications have been around before the iPhone came out, so nothing is revolutionary there.

Having pre-installed applications isn't something radically new ... I call it more user-friendly. And yes, they still have bugs even if they're free.

Improvements in screen resolution have been happening on pre-iPhone mobile phones. Nothing new there, too. Watching videos in widescreen isn't also new with an iPhone ... older devices had it.

On other countries negotiating for the iPhone's availability, I call it desirabilty ... a consequence of good marketing. It may be popular, but to date it isn't THE most popular.

I hope I've shown that all the changes were just incremental improvements, something that happens to a lot of consumer devices - certainly not on the iPhone alone.

And that brings us back to the bone of contention ... on whether the iPhone revolutionized the mobile landscape or not. It was just too much of a sweeping statement to me.

Still sure you're not a fan boi?
    (just kidding, hehe)

7. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    *straight6

Hahaha... Iphone fanboi - NOT!

I'm not going to expound on this one anymore as it is already veering away from the main topic.

Your points are perfectly valid and I respect the healthy exchange of ideas.

I love my touch screen phone... for now. And, I hope you love yours as well.

Just what I said, it's not about technology, it's about how comfortable and convenient it is for the user. Everybody wins.

Peace :-)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    candybar, solid 1 piece. less worries.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Still candybar for me.... I am interested in clamshells, but it breaks.....
    (Others are telling me that when it breaks, it's already outmoded)....

7808:spam:

10. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    any phone basta mabilis and user friendly ang features and applications.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Mobile Phones - your preferred type?