New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The only thing that scares me about this smartphone is the battery life.

Although I am just assuming, it could have poor battery life due to the 520mhz processor + VGA display. But we still have to wait for real world stats to affirm that

This could bring me back to the PPC world if the price is right

Here's a CNET's take on the 8150:

The i-mate Ultimate series of handhelds was first showcased by the Dubai-based company early this year at the 3GSM World Congress in Barcelona. The five handhelds in this range come in different form factors including a slider, a clamshell and one with a QWERTY keyboard. Over at CommunicAsia in Singapore, we managed to get a quick look at the Ultimate 8150, one of these five PDA-phones. This particular model features a numeric keypad under its display, and will be among the first to be launched in Asia Pacific.

Upside:
    The specifications of this device are undeniably impressive. First off, it comes with a VGA display as with all the other handhelds in the Ultimate series. It doesn't feature the fastest processor out there, but doesn't fall far short either with a 520MHz Intel chip.

Memory is not a problem as it comes with a generous 256MB ROM for storage and 128MB RAM for running applications. It also supports microSD cards for expansion if memory's not sufficient.

A lot of buttons are provided on the 8150 for both left- and right-handed use. For example, there are two OK buttons, one found above the numeric keypad and the other on the left side. So there is an OK key for use no matter which hand is holding the device.

The same applies to the directional pad. Though it is unusually located among the numeric keys, tending to the right side of the keypad, this makes it easier to reach with the right thumb. When holding the device on the left hand, the user can instead use the scroller which is also a selector when depressed.

Aside from the regular mini-USB port for charging and syncing, there is a TV-out connector on the right side of the 8150. This allows output to TV and projectors up to XGA resolution, more than sufficient pixels for video and Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.

Downside:In our short time with the 8150, we felt the keypad is unnecessarily unusual. Keys are shaped thin and wide and the print on them is quite small.

The colors on the 8150, which are the same on the entire Ultimate range, are honestly quite drab. The combination of dark gray and off-white could do with a little spicing up. That wouldn't matter to those who are interested in it purely for its capabilities, but no one will mind a better-looking device.

With its sub-brand, Ultimate, you'd expect the 8150 to have everything. But one increasingly popular feature is absent, GPS. It's not too much to ask for, as already one product available, the Dopod U1000, has as many features as the 8150 including satellite navigation.

Outlook: One of the most interesting things about the i-mate Ultimate handhelds is the 2-year warranty. This is double that of most mobile phones and handhelds. In an interview, i-mate's marketing manager of APAC, Allison Caruk, told CNET Asia that service centers will be established in every country where the Ultimate series is sold. Furthermore, there is live support online for the devices, and this is operational 24/7.

The base of operations for this region will be in Singapore, and the island-state will also be the first country in Southeast Asia to have the 8150 available in September. Caruk also revealed that discussions with partners and operators are ongoing in various countries in the region, and the intention is to make the Ultimate series available throughout Asia Pacific soon. Pricing information was not available at the time of writing.
    http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/handhel...7461p-0,00.htm
    Last edited by ssaloon; August 7th, 2007 at 11:28 PM.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ngaun ko lang nabasa yan brand na imate. ok ba yan

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think on the same level as O2, HTC, Dopod sila.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    diba slim samsung phones have bad batt life?

ano pa kaya ito?
    iam3739.com

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    ngaun ko lang nabasa yan brand na imate. ok ba yan
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon
    I think on the same level as O2, HTC, Dopod sila.
    Parepareho lang mga yan. Different brands, same manufacturers. Kasama na rin dyan ang HP.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    diba slim samsung phones have bad batt life?

ano pa kaya ito?
    My Asus P525 with 1300mAh battery lasts for more than a day and a half. The Ultimate 8150 have a slightly higher capacity batt at 1400mAh. With a more powerful processor (520Mhz vs P525's 400Mhz) and a VGA screen, I guess it would last for at least a day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
iMate Ultimate 8150