New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical! View Post
    ASUS A2S my HDD fizzled out on the 30th month...Burned a hole in my pocket to replace it. What hurt most was when I failed to back up the data...
    yun na nga problema eh, more than 20GB pic ang di ko pa natransfer sa desktop..

parang pangit ata quality netong mga 2.5HD ngayon,parang di matibay gaya ng dati...

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    they said an HDD will last for 5 years? Totoo ba to'? I have big files in my HD and I dont want to hurt myself of writing it all to DVD.
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drey View Post
    they said an HDD will last for 5 years? Totoo ba to'? I have big files in my HD and I dont want to hurt myself of writing it all to DVD.
    I had a 1.6gb WD hdd from 1995 that lasted until 2002. It was used as a primary hard drive first and then just as a storage device later.

I imagine a hard drive that's used simply for storage should last longer than a hard drive that's used to hold games, the operating system, page file, etc since the latter is being accessed all the time while the former can be turned off or disconnected when not in use.

I haven't yet had a hard drive that didn't last less than 5 years. I do have a 40gb Maxtor that seems a little flaky and might break soon. But, even it I already had since 2002.

Also, every hard drive I've bought are the retail versions (plastic-sealed big box full with shock-absorbing material, utility cd/floppy) except for one......Yep. That 40gb Maxtor. It's OEM. Oh. That usb2 2.5" WDD is also OEM. It just seems to me that retail hard drives lasts longer than OEM ones.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last 2 laptops (DELL and IBM), average of 3 years each on their HDDs....

3101:transform:

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I forgot to mention the original hard drive in my HP pavilion ze5270 is still alive: Hitachi 2.5" 40gb 4200rpm hdd. Still has the original contents.

It made the laptop horribly sluggish. After using it for an hour, I decided right there to replace it with the Hitachi 5400rpm hdd. The difference in responsiveness was like night and day; certainly a lot more than a mere 1200rpm difference would indicate.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    salamat! nabuhay uli 2.5hdd ko naback up ko na lahat ng files..

pero namatay uli after 3days...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    almost 2 years na ung HD ni wifey sa laptop pero wala pa nmang problema, bumili pa kami laptop HD and enclosure para pang back up, almost a year and wala pang problema. Ang alam ko, as long as hindi sya nababagsak or nababagok e tatagal ang buhay ng HD...and syempre dapat ginagamit din sya paminsan minsan kung nakatago lang ung HD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
how long does it last your mobile hdd?