New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 88 of 110 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voltes_V View Post
    ... Component Video....These component video cables look similar to standard RCA cables. However both the cables themselves and the connectors are optimized for video. You would also need 2 RCA cables to receive stereo sound.

*info courtesy of my electronics supplier
    my concern is the terminology of "optimzed for video" - Did your electronic supplier explain what technique was applied in those cables to make it optimized for video?

Kasi afaik, the signal passing these cables are still analogue or electric pulse/wave. as such, the only thing the will "disrupt" that electrical signal is emf and/or resistance. long or wrong type of wire/cable will work like a resistor - thus the resistance.

electrical interference is also greatly reduced by using coaxial configuration - main line on the center and the ground line is "coating" it. this is why antenna wires and speaker cables uses coaxial type of cables.

bottomline, TECHNICALLY there is no difference between a regular RCA cable with those branded COMPONENT cables because both are coaxial-type of cables.

BUT those are just my technical self-learned deduction. I have YET to know the "truth" behind the word "optimized for video" ek-ek.

I am thinking that maybe they use "gold-coated" wires and connectors...kasi gold is noted to have better conductor capability than copper or steel. But then again, gold coated connectors and wires are really OVERKILL concept for me.
    Last edited by wildthing; September 17th, 2007 at 05:26 PM.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Yup, AFAIK, there is no difference between 3-pronged regular RCA cables and component cables, except the color-coding (red white yellow vs. red green blue). The latter is not optimized for video.

I lurk around a lot over at pinoydvd.com (I've been a member since 2004, pero less than 50 posts pa lang ako hehehe), and I've never heard of any manufacturer claiming that component cables are optimized for video. There's basically nothing you can do for component cables that you cannot do for composite.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i would interpret "optimized for video" as having sufficient bandwidth for video signal transmission ... the NTSC composite video signal is normally 6MHz wide and for most RCA cables, even the cheapest ones, can carry the video signal for short lengths

unfortunately, the cheaper RCA cables in the market are not really coaxial, instead the purported "shield" is actually a few strands of wire and helically wrapping the center conductor with lots of unshielded portions ... i believe this kind of cable will degrade the video signal over longer distance (>10 feet) and susceptible to emf interference, which could be the reason why you don't find them longer than a meter or two

however, the RCA cables supplied by manufacturers of known brands are usually true coaxial are can be trusted to provide sufficient bandwidth for video

expensive cables like monster are, imo, simply marketing hype and surely one could find lower cost true coxial cables that could perform just as well

gold connectors? tell that to the marines! they are useful only for semiconductor manufacturing

5. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    If anyone is interested in going Tru HD, then composite, s-video and component cables are considered obsolete. The standard connector for HD is HDMI. It's the complete audio-video cable that allows not only HD Video but also HD uncompressed audio.
    Last edited by Monseratto; September 18th, 2007 at 07:23 AM.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^^ HDMI - eto rin ba yung parang rectangular na plug ng DVI as seen in this picture -

o iba pa yun?

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
    ^^ HDMI - eto rin ba yung parang rectangular na plug ng DVI as seen in this picture -

o iba pa yun?
    HD Video lang dumadaan sa DVI...Problema kung may ma-encounter na 5.1 HD uncompressed audio, di rin dadaan sa optical output.
    Last edited by Monseratto; September 18th, 2007 at 07:22 AM.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    DVI is different from HDMI. The former has 24 pins, while the latter has 19. AFAIK, DVI is also becoming obsolete. Most new video cards in the market now have HDMI ports

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    buy the monster kung si generic ay maiksi (maiksi = was talking about the length). other than that parehas lang yan.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by voltes_V View Post
    Well good for you sir. Atleast its safe to say that we are both in agreement that monster cables dont live up to our standards.hehe.We can mark these cables as one of the overrated ones. What matters most is that we are happy with our systems and thats that.
    So when are you going to invite me to watch a movie at your place hehe.
    Oh if you want to see my HTS at pinoydvd, its the erwin's Def Tech set-up. Enjoy
    next time na madaan ka sa Florida, chief

although kung malapit ka sa Toronto...madadaan ako jan sa january

Home Theater Thread