New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Reviving the thread.

Currently have 8TB (4 x 2TB HDDs) with about 70% utilization, any practical backup options?

What is your current configuration for the drives? Straight drives? No RAID setup?

I would be thinking RAID 5 configuration with the current drives you have. This would give your system redundancy if any single HDD crashing.

Beyond that, assuming you want to back up the entire content whole-sale, no other option than good old tape backup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backup

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Not RAID... It's running Microsoft's Drive Extender, built into WHS v.1

Suffice to say, I will eventually have a need to backup all 8TB of data (about 7.2TB formatted)... for now.

I still have two more free SATA ports so my storage can still grow when needed. Is there a cheap tape backup solution?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    curios lang oj, ano ba bina back up mo? ano ba majority ng files na meron ka?

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    curios lang oj, ano ba bina back up mo? ano ba majority ng files na meron ka?
    Here's a rough estimate:
    20% - Backup of all PCs at home
    30% - Movies and TV shows/series
    20% - Personal files (docs, pics, videos, etc.). Actual size is just around 10%, but I enabled folder duplication for addeed protection, that's why it's using up twice as much space from the pool

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^why don't you just erase the movies and series after watching it? that's what I do. as soon as I've seen it, delete na agad.

as for the photos, if I have a 1000 shots I took on a trip, probably 30%-50% lang ang "for keeps".

sa files, what sort of files do you keep?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    ^why don't you just erase the movies and series after watching it? that's what I do. as soon as I've seen it, delete na agad.

as for the photos, if I have a 1000 shots I took on a trip, probably 30%-50% lang ang "for keeps".

sa files, what sort of files do you keep?
    We are a big household. It's just not my data that's in there. We have pictures and home videos dating back to early 2000. These were all scattered among different PCs and laptops. This server helped a lot in consolidating them into a single platform that I can manage more effectively. The collection of personal files is considerable, even after doing a bit of housekeeping.

As for the movies and TV shows, I can't just delete them after watching. They're not just for me. Other family members may want to watch them as well and I would like the resources available when they need them. Although, I do occasionally clear out agreeably "unwanted" flicks.

I'm also looking at cloud storage like Amazon's S3 as an option.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Home computers and backup