New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I would think that it requires a very high starting/igniting current. The video below shows that the author's particular HID would start off at around 7A and stabilize to between 3-4A after the warm-up.

The 12V, 6A power supply that you have may be overrated. If the HID works when you connect it to your car's battery, it just shows that the HID needs more starting current than what your PSUs can give.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/Mr_Mik/Vectux/HID lamp project/?action=view&current=VectuxHIDlamppreliminarytest. flv
    Last edited by oj88; August 21st, 2009 at 10:49 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Hmmm...I tried connecting it to the PSU but I think it's not getting enough juice. Only thing it does is flicker and die down.

I bought a 12V 6A power supply and it did the same thing. How many amps do you think I'd need to get this party going? Or is the voltage just unstable?

Sorry, I'm really not an electrical person.
    it's the under voltage/over voltage protection at work. ever notice some cars on HID has only one lights on? that's what happens...

on a car scenario, all you need it to turn off and turn it on again, but I'm not sure if it will do the same with your psu.

on a HID manual. I read that the max input current for 35w HID is 10amps and typical current is 3.2amps. more like as oj88 said.

if you can borrow a branded psu. give it a shot =)

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Hmmm...I tried connecting it to the PSU but I think it's not getting enough juice. Only thing it does is flicker and die down.

I bought a 12V 6A power supply and it did the same thing. How many amps do you think I'd need to get this party going? Or is the voltage just unstable?

Sorry, I'm really not an electrical person.

The 12v 6A PSU probably can't supply true 6A. You can try a car batt charger instead although it's quite heavy. It outputs 12v 12A.

As for the PC PSU you tested, can u please read us doc what the posted ratings are? It's usually on the psu body. Usually a sticker enumerating input & output of each voltage (what brand is it btw?).

For example,

HEC 550AB (dual 12v rails)
    12v1 = 17A
    12v2 = 18A
    input: AC 100-240v

As for the HID, maybe it has specified power requirements too? We can start there.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'm uploading the pics now.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    PSUs:

AVR's 6A (no pic yet of the bigger unit I got)

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    HID Ballast, bulb, and harness:

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sorry for the late reply doc.

I just came from Camiguin Island and it's a grave sin to surf the net there (it's a paradise!). hehe.

Anyway, I'm not familiar with the brands you've posted. I assume you've tested the HID kit already with a car batt, am I correct?

Have u tried using a car batt charger?

It's weird to me why it's not firing up esp with those specs of the PSUs you've posted. I was supposed to lend you my HEC 550AB (550W Active PFC PSU) but for some reason, it blew up a few moments ago when I connected a bunch of harddisks. It's a simple problem, I just need to replace the blown part (an IC) and it'll be running again. It served me well for the past four years so I'm really quite surprised that it got broken out of the blue.

Anyway, if you can't find a car batt charger, please tell me. :-)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
HELP:  Using car HID with 220V