New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Product Recovery CD usually for re-installing the OE only like factory out-from-the-box progams, seldom does it contain content-recovery program or similar ghost service. There's high chances that you can still recover the files since the boot recovery option is present, you just need to patch-up the boot files that were corrupted/damaged.

Was the folder My Documents set to private mode? If that is, it will be encrypted and you will not be able to recover the files easily by docking your hardisk to another computer.

Heres additional things you can do
    - Enter BIOS(F1, F2,F12, esc yata sa Toshiba) set boot priority to optical drive, save and re-start. Run recovery CD and look for the recovery using Restore Point. Set the oldest restore point - that will wipe-out all newly installed programs in the registry but will retain your personal files. Do it with caution since one mistake or selecting full-HDD recovery could mean byebye to your files..
    - Try booting on command prompt or DOS shell. That will give you additional options like scandisk,defrag, manual copying of files, some patching of damaged files. This maybe possible using a floppy drive/disc with DOS 6 or higher and some knowledge of DOS, soo old procedure but sometimes helpful.
    - Buy your new laptop. Do a research on how to remove HDD from your old lappy (usually its held by philips or torx bit fasteners).There are video and guides on the net for a tear-down process that usually shows installation is just the reverse of removal. Remove HDD, check the interface type, go to CDR KING and get appropriate enclosure or tool. Plugin the external enclosure to your new laptop and access directory, copy desktop mydocuments, run disk-utility checking tool to fix bad clusters.

That i think are your best options for now, beyond that you need to learn more tech stuff. The risk of losing the file will be high since it will be a trial and error for first timers. I've recovered files of my coworkers laptops and most difficult ones are those with damaged hardisk. I suggest you buy new PC or lappy asap, make your old laptop as backup if you will be able to fix it. Nowdays its practical to maintain 2 personal computer/laptop just for the sake of data backup/recovery.
    Product recovery CDs are usually scripted to do a hard disk format before installing the OS. So in C4U's case, it is not a viable option.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy_for_you View Post
    I'm going to buy a new laptop this weekend. I really hope I could recover my files. It's so hard because most of the people who are really good in computers that I used to rely on have left the country already. I hate Brain drain talaga!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's comforting to know there is a chance I could still get my old files back
    You could check the ultrabook I am selling... but it's not your preferred brand.

Acer Aspire S3 with Intel Core i5 CPU, 4gb ram, 320gb HDD, 13.3inch LCD. Weight:1.3kg If you are interested, just send me a PM so I can tell you the price. Used it for six months, upgraded to a higher spec ultrabook.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    Depends on what resources/hardware your friend has. And I don't know his plan. If he can connect your old HDD to his computer so he can backup your data, then problem solved. .
    My techie ex said that he can't remove my HD and connect it to his computer since Toshiba has a sort of lock that recognizes if it's not connected to a Toshiba laptop. His computer is not a Toshiba kasi.

If he can boot up your laptop with a boot-USB drive or Windows-on-CD configuration, he might also be able to copy your files to an external drive. There are many ways to do it..
    This may be what he's planning on doing because he asked me if I have an external drive. He has a disk that might fix the problem but if it still does not work, there's nothing else he could do for me anymore.

As for your friend asking you to bring the installer, drivers, etc, I think he is just assuming he can reinstall Windows on your old laptop AFTER safely backing up your data to a safe place.
    I'll go to this older friend if my techie ex still can't fix my problem. I am a bit hesitant to go to my older friend bec he said he has not fixed a computer in years and sort of forgot na.

How long does this take to fix? Backing up my less than 8 GB data? Reinstalling etc?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leinahtan View Post
    so what are you suggesting then to the poor laptop owner
    if the laptop owner has a friend (which I think she has), pull out the old hard drive, install it in an enclosure, have that scanned by another computer and salvage files as much as possible. purchase a brand new one, and do fresh install on it, then copy over the salvaged files.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My techie ex said that he can't remove my HD and connect it to his computer since Toshiba has a sort of lock that recognizes if it's not connected to a Toshiba laptop. His computer is not a Toshiba kasi.
    Weird. First time I heard of something like that.

This may be what he's planning on doing because he asked me if I have an external drive. He has a disk that might fix the problem but if it still does not work, there's nothing else he could do for me anymore.
    I still say pull the HDD and connect it externally is the best option.

I'll go to this older friend if my techie ex still can't fix my problem. I am a bit hesitant to go to my older friend bec he said he has not fixed a computer in years and sort of forgot na.

How long does this take to fix? Backing up my less than 8 GB data? Reinstalling etc?

Assuming external boot-up and backing up the data... it should take 15 to 30 minutes if everything goes well, which never really does, something always goes wrong somewhere. hehehe. Realistic estimate, 1 hour.

Re-installing basic Windows without drivers, an hour to 1.5 hours (depending on HDD & system speed). Installing all other softwares like browser, officesuites, drivers, players, viewers, etc should take another 1.5 hours to 4 hours depending on how much software you want done. On slower systems (dual-core Intel Atom PCs) I typically take half a day to setup a blank HDD to a running system at our office.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I got this error message on my laptop:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

It this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk deframentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Reun CHKDSK/F? To check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x000000024(0x00190203, 0x823DD548, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

This is a Toshiba laptop that I've had for a minimum of 5 years and has never been reformatted. I've been getting blue screens every now and then for the past 6 months but this is the first time that my laptop won't reboot na!

I have not backed up my files!!! I am desperate for help. I have some personal files that I want to back up and delete before bringing my laptop for service. If my laptop is hopeless na, I just need a way to recover my files. I am posting this from my equally ancient phone and it's very difficult to google for a solution. If anyone can please direct me somewhere where I could get some helpful input din, I would very much appreciate it.

I have cold hands and feet na because I am scared that I won't be able to recover years of data!!! I know I am stupid for not backing up my files. I've long procastinated about it kasi. I really do now want to bring my laptop for repair with all my personal files still there. I have a feeling they will ask me to leave my laptop kasi for diagnosis.
    try to reboot from Linux (either from CD or USB).
    then get your files.... that simple....

tapos have your laptop checked and reformatted. most BSODs are caused by driver incompatibilities, viruses and hardware component failures specially sa RAM.

if you need help, PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Assuming external boot-up and backing up the data... it should take 15 to 30 minutes if everything goes well, which never really does, something always goes wrong somewhere. hehehe. Realistic estimate, 1 hour.

Re-installing basic Windows without drivers, an hour to 1.5 hours (depending on HDD & system speed). Installing all other softwares like browser, officesuites, drivers, players, viewers, etc should take another 1.5 hours to 4 hours depending on how much software you want done. On slower systems (dual-core Intel Atom PCs) I typically take half a day to setup a blank HDD to a running system at our office.
    It seems like I really have to leave my laptop with the person that is supposed to fix it And risk the embarrassment of my personal files being exposed *sigh*

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I don't think so. It takes only about 3 minutes to find out if the drive can be read by another computer or not. You just slap on the SATA power cords, boot into BIOS, and voila, if the hard drive shows up, then you can proceed.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE][My techie ex said that he can't remove my HD and connect it to his computer since Toshiba has a sort of lock that recognizes if it's not connected to a Toshiba laptop. His computer is not a Toshiba kasi.
    /QUOTE]

Is he sure about this? I highly doubt this. Just bring your old computer to any computer shop and ask them to remove the hdd and put it in a mobile enclosure. Guessing they may charge you 100 to 200 pesos labor plus the enclosure. The enclosure will have a usb connector. Attach it to your new laptop and see if you can recover your files.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    It seems like I really have to leave my laptop with the person that is supposed to fix it And risk the embarrassment of my personal files being exposed *sigh*
    naku baka kumalat sa FB private files mo. . . . .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast