New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    I used a USB keyboard, the 'keyboard error' is gone but still unable to load Windows (log-on screen).
    I set the BIOS to boot on CD-ROM but computer still cannot boot thru CD ...

Is it possible to connect my HDD to a different computer and perform a chkdsk /r?? Will it work?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by KERSMcRae View Post
    I used a USB keyboard, the 'keyboard error' is gone but still unable to load Windows (log-on screen).
    I set the BIOS to boot on CD-ROM but computer still cannot boot thru CD ...

Is it possible to connect my HDD to a different computer and perform a chkdsk /r?? Will it work?
    If it's Windows, you can try F8 during boot up and restore to a previous restore point like one to two weeks prior to the problem showing up.

I used to do this on my HTPC at home and works everytime.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The symptoms my previous pc showed before the motherboard died was:

It started shutting down spontaneously. When I power up the pc, it'll post. But as soon as Windows or Linux tried to load, the power shut down immediately. I tried the PSU on a different pc and it worked fine.

I tried booting from a Windows install cd or a Linux Live CD. The same thing. Immediate shutdown. It wasn't the PSU. It wasn't the ram. It definitely wasn't the video card.

Upon close examination of the motherboard, I saw something similar to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bu...yeh_caps_2.jpg

Bulging and/or leaking capacitors.

As it got worse, the power button wouldn't even work after shutdown. The activity light simply blinked. Pulling the plug and putting it back in allowed the pc to power up again. But, it just shutdown again as soon as an OS tried to load.

If you have similar capacitors on your motherboard especially behind the cpu, kiss your motherboard goodbye unless you can get it fixed for cheap there.

Here, it's not worth it. It's cheaper to buy a replacement motherboard, one with solid state capacitors.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; January 14th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I have had problems with bulging/leaking capacitors as early as the year 2000 when I purchased additional PCs for my Internet Cafe business then. The units didn't last a year before having the above mentioned problems.

At least I was able to claim warranty replacement motherboards (different model to avoid the same fate of the original boards).

5. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Pekto's right, you should look for bulging capacitors, not just leaking ones. And trying the PSU on other PC's is a good first step.

[SIZE=1]3618[/SIZE]

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    1.check if there is blooted capacitor
    2. PSU yan dahil nag over heat na siya sa tagal ba naman ng open mo bumigay at hindi na nag run ang fan nya ganoon din sa akin noon change ako
    try mong humiram sa mga friend mo ng psu

7. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Update:

My home PC is back to normal. RAM module problem caused it. I have it replaced (still under warranty) pero ganun pa rin. I did a clean install of my OS. No choice. I lost some of my data /files on my drive. First time ko mag-reformat/reinstall ng windows (DIY). Good thing I found a guide from BlackViper.

Also the 100% CPU usage problem is gone. I also checked my mobo's capacitors but still good.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    The symptoms my previous pc showed before the motherboard died was:

It started shutting down spontaneously. When I power up the pc, it'll post. But as soon as Windows or Linux tried to load, the power shut down immediately. I tried the PSU on a different pc and it worked fine.

I tried booting from a Windows install cd or a Linux Live CD. The same thing. Immediate shutdown. It wasn't the PSU. It wasn't the ram. It definitely wasn't the video card.

Upon close examination of the motherboard, I saw something similar to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bu...yeh_caps_2.jpg

Bulging and/or leaking capacitors.

As it got worse, the power button wouldn't even work after shutdown. The activity light simply blinked. Pulling the plug and putting it back in allowed the pc to power up again. But, it just shutdown again as soon as an OS tried to load.

If you have similar capacitors on your motherboard especially behind the cpu, kiss your motherboard goodbye unless you can get it fixed for cheap there.

Here, it's not worth it. It's cheaper to buy a replacement motherboard, one with solid state capacitors.
    an update: this is the thing that happened to me. palit na ako ng MOBO yesterday. the problem, medyo luma na yung mobo, so i have to replace the processor as well as the RAM as well.

eto na ngayon, gamit ko na.

ang tanong:

- i have a new DASD too, i am thinking of using it as SATA.
    - the new MOBO only comes with one IDE slot, i am reserving it for the DVD drive and a slave DASD.
    - the problem, walang SATA power connector yung PS ko. May mga adaptor bang nabibili dito so i can still use my existing PS (which is ok pa), or do i need to also change my PS?

thanks.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    - the problem, walang SATA power connector yung PS ko. May mga adaptor bang nabibili dito so i can still use my existing PS (which is ok pa), or do i need to also change my PS?

thanks.
    You can buy an adapter.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    - i have a new DASD too, i am thinking of using it as SATA.
    - the new MOBO only comes with one IDE slot, i am reserving it for the DVD drive and a slave DASD.

thanks.
    I take it you mean you have an older PSU with no SATA. There's a MOLEX-SATA adapter:

Image from crazypc.com

I see teh capacitor issue got you too. Join the club.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Help Naman In Troubleshooting My PC