New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    There's a service included in Windows XP called "windows messaging service" or "winpopup." It allows a person to send a simple messages over a network. There are programs out there that allow people to spam hundreds and thousands of IP's at a time with links to whatever product they are selling. It was so rampant at one point, the Microsoft fixed it in SP2.

If you don't have SP2, I'm inclined to say that you are probably just the victim of a harmless prank. The fact that someone knows you're located in the Philippines and that they've heard of Baguio seems to indicate it was probably just someone on your LAN, or someone with the same ISP messing around.

Anyone who has done any programming knows that dialog boxes look nothing like that thing above. In fact, the only thing that really resembles that window is "winpopup."

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyphoto View Post
    Eto lumalabas, bago mag startup ang windows.

_Bumabagal ang PC
    -di modouble click and HD
    -may file na makulit exiplorer.exe
    -di sya mdetect ng some antivirus. PLS help,. TY
    bro, ngayon ko lang na-encounter yun ganun virus? vuris ba talaga yun? may tanong ako hope ok lang. hindi ba sya pede ma-cancel using your keyboard? if not. i agree with them format mo na your HD. and after mo ma-install all the software you need. install virus detector with capable to update everyday. like AVG, NOD, etc.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    Anyone who has done any programming knows that dialog boxes look nothing like that thing above. In fact, the only thing that really resembles that window is "winpopup."
    Obviously I'm no programmer. So excuse me if I used the wrong terminology.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Sorry. I didn't mean to make that sound condescending. I was simply making a point that the two were different, and you'd actually have to go out of your way to make a window that looked like that.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ///MPower View Post
    Sorry. I didn't mean to make that sound condescending. I was simply making a point that the two were different, and you'd actually have to go out of your way to make a window that looked like that.
    Bah. It's probably just the lack of sleep on my end.

I'm still puzzled though. I could've sworn I used winpopup back when I had W2k Pro. I remember it looking like a stripped down messenger app, not like what's on the photo unless it's a 3rd-party winpopup clone. Still a question mark to me.

Last time I saw something that customized was when I watched a friend program in Delphi years ago.

Add: Just OT a bit. That guy (ex-USAF) programmed this. Digital Atmosphere:
    http://www.weathergraphics.com/

Sorry again. I blame it on lack of sleep.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 9th, 2007 at 09:41 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Try mo po i-scan during safe mode with AVG anti-virus and Ad-Aware spyware remover. Free po ito, just update it first! This is my weekly maintenance with my PC! HTH!

7. Join Date
    May 2007
    I have a cure for that virus.....
    Please email me at thsison*yahoo.com

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TH23 View Post
    I have a cure for that virus.....
    Please email me at thsison*yahoo.com
    I wouldn't, if I were you.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    seems to be more like a hacker to me than a virus, but i could also be wrong.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I haven't had a similar problem yet so far. I'm also wondering what action did the thread starter ultimately take..... Reformat and start over? Found and used a good antivirus program? Sold his pc and got a Mac? Well, maybe not so much that last one. But, it was suggested....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Help me on this virus? spyware?