New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by n2knee View Post
    the stats from an article i read on San Francisco Chronicle a few days ago says 30% (or something close to this number) of US households are still using antenna; and even if the government is subsidizing the cost of a new tv, most of them have doubts if they can afford a new tv set. how much is the rebate from the government again? $40?? :lol:
    The government will give $40 ($80 for 2 max) rebate for a Digital to Analog converter box not for a new TV. You can still use your analog TV after Feb 2009 provided you have that converter box.

On a side note, TVs sold here in the US beginning January 2007 are digital ready. Stores that sell analog TV (to get rid of stock) must specify "Analog TV only" to protect consumers.
    Last edited by Camgen6; February 27th, 2008 at 03:46 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I haven't settled yet on an HD disc format. If it's Blu Ray then Blu Ray it is. But, I'll wait until most set top players are less than $200. My wife's in no hurry to move up. She's still satisfied with DVD.

DirectTV all HD by next year? I hope we won't need a new box..... We have 4 boxes.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    The question is if the consumers will bite on the new HD formats? I for one am still contented with regular DVD's.
    That's simple, force consumers in adapting to HD by phasing-out dvds, standard def tvs (Philippines, maybe 2015?).

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by A121 View Post
    That's simple, force consumers in adapting to HD by phasing-out dvds, standard def tvs (Philippines, maybe 2015?).
    That could come much sooner cuz its harder to pirate Blu ray, which is why many studios picked BD over HD DVD. The movie company are releasing movies titles in both DVDs and BDs already at the same time. Also many Japanese CE companies may "force" adoption to maximize profit before the chinese get in.
    Last edited by Monseratto; February 27th, 2008 at 11:12 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
HD DVD is dead...