New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    "Traffic shaping" is just a invented term to replace bandwidth throttling.

The usual scapegoat is the illegal downloader, much like the old scapegoat of PLDT of the tele-babad user of their old analog phone lines clogging up the system. It is just an excuse NOT to upgrade their system to meet up with the user/subscriber service demand on their system.
    Nadali mo! Traffic flow capacity problem pero volume tinitira nila. Hindi na talaga kaya ng system nila yung madaming users. Old tech pa ksai ibang gamit nila. Tignan mo wimax, new technology na kapag sinabi na 80 users can use at the same time, 80 users talaga dahil dedicated. Yung 3G naman kasi dami magkaagaw dyan, calls, text and internet use for example.

Limit the subscribers para kahit medyo mabagal kung sabay-sabay, pero nakakagamit pa rin. Hindi yung may limit sa volume.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Limit the subscribers ...
    "that would be inconsistent with GREED", says ISP

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Nadali mo! Traffic flow capacity problem pero volume tinitira nila. Hindi na talaga kaya ng system nila yung madaming users. Old tech pa ksai ibang gamit nila. Tignan mo wimax, new technology na kapag sinabi na 80 users can use at the same time, 80 users talaga dahil dedicated. Yung 3G naman kasi dami magkaagaw dyan, calls, text and internet use for example.

Limit the subscribers para kahit medyo mabagal kung sabay-sabay, pero nakakagamit pa rin. Hindi yung may limit sa volume.

They don't want to limit subscribers because that is money in the bank for them. They want to blame people download illegal stuff because it's easy to blame such and such because they know these "illegal" people will not speak out to defend themselves even if they have subscribed to more expensive professional or business level internet accounts.

Example, I download *******s at home. My ISP account is a "professional" level account meaning I pay more than twice the internet price as my brother does who only have a basic account. In return, I get more bandwidth than my brother. But with this,... I will be made like a bad guy by my ISP even if I am paying more for my bandwidth.

4. Join Date
    May 2010
    Dami pa sinasabi pera Lang naman ang habol.. Porket mas in demand na ang Internet for fb, twitter, bbm, facetime, etc on cellphones and iPhones/iPods/iPads. Kay sa texting and calling...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    hay. sa smartbro-ken, last october pa ata nagsimula yan, kasi dati pwede ako mag online games/browse, download ng sabay sabay. pero since october once nagdownload ka, patay ka na, sorry na lang wala ka na iba magagawa, tapos yung download speed mo pa sobrang bagay, 3kbps (maswerte na ko kapag naka 30kbps)? walang hiya yan. ilang taon pa matatapos yun?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by denki3269 View Post
    Dami pa sinasabi pera Lang naman ang habol.. Porket mas in demand na ang Internet for fb, twitter, bbm, facetime, etc on cellphones and iPhones/iPods/iPads. Kay sa texting and calling...
    Nakakabawas talaga yan sa kita nila sa call & text kaya siyempre, isip sila ng paraan para makabawi.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    In other countries, the bandwidth the ISP provides is ten times bigger than what we have here.

Internet bandwidth is a limited flow issue, not a limited data volume issue. So why limit the volume?
    Caps and shaping are all the same. Shaping a network traffic is basically putting a cap on how much speed should be allocated on a specific port or an application that transmits data at a given time. Limiting the traffic basically limits the data being transmitted in a given time. Without caps, network users will be having a hard time transmitting data from point a to point b and vice versa. The reason why you can still post here in tsikot is because your ISP has caps all over the place (even before this "issue" has been raised in the national level tagal ng meron nyan).

Limiting the volume will enable the provider to manage their resources better. Other countries have bandwidth ten times bigger than we have here because 1.) either their govt sponsored their infra (e.g. SK) 2.) they are the main destination of http and other web content requests (e.g. US of A). Those 2 are sustainable business models especially number 2, since there's a business demand to have such an infra capacity. Eh Pinas doesn't have any of the 2. We are more of a consumer than a producer. Don't you notice that even local contents are being hosted where?? You guessed it right, in the US of A. Buying huge amounts of bandwidth (IP transits) won't be feasible either why, eh hindi naman kasi tayo puntahan ng mga web visitors eh LOL. The market is not that serious and mature enough to sustain such infra. 1 is sustainable for as long as there's no rampant corruption.

Caps, shaping, bandwidth management as I said has been in existence since day 1 of the ISPs operation. Kahit saang ISP pa yan meron yan. Canada, AUS and US have their traffics being shaped and capped.
    Last edited by froshie1; April 7th, 2011 at 08:52 PM.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Baka ang ibig sabihin ni froshie1, by implementing bandwidth cap the data volume will also be limited. For example 1 subscriber is entitled only for 1 bucket of water per day, one way to achieve this is by limiting the rate of flow (bandwidth/througput).

Ang masama nyan kung maliit ang data volume that will be allocated per subscriber.. PAg ganito ang mangyayari lugi ang residential dahil iipitin ng husto at baka up to CIR na lang ibigay at wala nang burst speed.

Tama, money making scheme yan ng Telco hindi na kasi kumikita sa voice so kelangan pigain ang data.. Solution, sa office nalang mag internet walang cap ang corporate account.. or pakabit ka ng fiber na STM1 internet access sa bahay..

9. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 12vdc View Post
    Baka ang ibig sabihin ni froshie1, by implementing bandwidth cap the data volume will also be limited. For example 1 subscriber is entitled only for 1 bucket of water per day, one way to achieve this is by limiting the rate of flow (bandwidth/througput).
    Tama. And as I said it has already been in place since day 1 of operations ng isang ISP kahit saang bansa ka pa.

Ang masama nyan kung maliit ang data volume that will be allocated per subscriber.. PAg ganito ang mangyayari lugi ang residential dahil iipitin ng husto at baka up to CIR na lang ibigay at wala nang burst speed.
    Change provider whenever possible. PLDT for now doesn't have any strict caps or shaping.

CIR on a residential plan? Hehehe. That doesn't exist my friend. Do you know that a guaranteed CIR of 256kbps runs from $600-$1000 a month? Baka mali pa nga ako eh pagkakatanda ko 64kbps pa iyon but they may have lowered their price nowadays.

A guaranteed CIR means every time you use your internet the throughput of data is your subscribed speed. So kung may CIR ka na 256kbps, every second yan 256 ang ibibigay nyan.

Residential plans walang CIR yan. All are bursting up to your subscribed plan only. So example in my case I'm on a 3mbps residential plan of PLDT, iyong 3mbps na yan bursting lang yan up to 3mbps, makakuha na ako ng 2.5mbps ok na iyon. umabot ng 3mbps yan iyong burst. lumagpas ka man ng 3mbps swerte na iyon.

Tama, money making scheme yan ng Telco hindi na kasi kumikita sa voice so kelangan pigain ang data.. Solution, sa office nalang mag internet walang cap ang corporate account.. or pakabit ka ng fiber na STM1 internet access sa bahay..
    Ang pagkaka-cap sa corporate account ay kung ano lang iyong binayaran mong pipe. Let say naka 2mbps CIR ka. Iyong buong 2mbps pipe iyong iyo iyon.. Now if you're a network administrator, ikaw na ang bahala kung paano mo i-aallocate iyong pipe mo (aka capping or shaping) so that hindi magkaron ng denial of service sa ibang web traffic.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Noticed that in the past few days, my Globelines download speed is just 2/3 of what it's used to be (rated) for my account....

Could be this cap(?)....

12.8K:toma:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Globe moves to cap Internet data volume