New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yeah i know krups. according to a friend not reliable for biz use. starbucks, figaro, and big coffee shops' espresso machine cost around 150-250K.

just want to check others' experience on other brands of espresso machines.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    kung tinitipid at minadali ang gawa like yun galing sa china, malamang nga expresso machine yan hindi espresso

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    ANy other brand? Suggestions? Mas ok ba yung automatic or semi-auto?

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    go for saeco, proven and tested na.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    I'm guessing here but I would think the reason most of the espresso machines are Italian is because espresso is Italian?? (not trying to be a smartass)

I personally use a Capresso/Jura automatic but I don't use it all that often since it needs to be cleaned after each use and if you're only going to make 1-2 cups, nakakatamad. But if it's going to be for commercial use, ok lang since you'll use it a lot more. Saeco should also be pretty good.

I hear the semi-automatics and manual espresso machines have the potential to make better espresso since you're able to tweak the brew. La Pavoni and Rancilio are the brands I've been hearing. But you'd almost need to have a full-time operator for it since the preparation is quite involved. Yung automatic kahit yung bartender na lang ang mag-operate ok na.....

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    pang-industrial use ba yun sa santi's? hindi ba for personal use lang yun?

gusto ko yun sa ucc eh. ang cool

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by afterglow View Post
    I'm guessing here but I would think the reason most of the espresso machines are Italian is because espresso is Italian?? (not trying to be a smartass)

I personally use a Capresso/Jura automatic but I don't use it all that often since it needs to be cleaned after each use and if you're only going to make 1-2 cups, nakakatamad. But if it's going to be for commercial use, ok lang since you'll use it a lot more. Saeco should also be pretty good.

I hear the semi-automatics and manual espresso machines have the potential to make better espresso since you're able to tweak the brew. La Pavoni and Rancilio are the brands I've been hearing. But you'd almost need to have a full-time operator for it since the preparation is quite involved. Yung automatic kahit yung bartender na lang ang mag-operate ok na.....
    i attended a coffee seminar and yes you're right espresso started in Italy. I wanted an automatic because you dont need skilled barista for that.

OT: according to the seminar barista = coffee, bartender = coffee + other drinks (cocktails, mocktails, etc.)

What im not sure of is the accuracy of the automatic to produce constant amount of coffee ground and pressured water...

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Mmm... all this talk about coffee made me go to the pantry to whip up a cup of... eeeek.... instant coffee! :-(

On the espresso machine --> Once you get a good machine, make sure you also get a good grinder. Don't skimp money by getting a cheap blade grinder. Instead, go for broke and get a good burr grinder.

A blade (rotary) grinder cannot produce grounds fine enough for espresso use. Furthermore, blade grinders produce uneven, jagged grounds which lead to uneven coffee extraction (i.e. some granules will be over extracted while some will be under extracted).

Burr grinders will ensure you have an even grind for espresso.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    What im not sure of is the accuracy of the automatic to produce constant amount of coffee ground and pressured water...
    Don't get me wrong...even an automatic can make very good coffee with near-perfect crema. It's just that the grinding & concentration can only be adjusted within some limited parameters and can't be as consistent as doing it manually and measuring precisely. Ang daming mga variables though by doing it manually....each bean has to have it's own formula of grind, tamping pressure, dosage amount, etc. Hirap to do it in a commercial setting.

Just choose your machine (automatic), choose a bean, experiment until you find the right settings and stick to it. Should make a pretty good cup o' joe and be pretty consistent. Pero tama nga sabi ni van_wilder, the ones on display in Santi's are for home use only. If they're anything like mine, it'll only make two cups at a time (around 3-4 minutes/cup), need to go through a cleaning cycle, and can only make around 10 cups before needing to be refilled and cooled down. If you're talking about a restaurant/coffee shop you really need to be looking at a light commercial model. Saeco has a couple models that can make up to 50 cups/hour and start at $1300.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
ESpresso Machine