New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    I have successfully installed Windows XP Pro on my Dell mini 12 which has a slow processor (Atom) and a non-upgradeable RAM (1 gig max). BTW, my laptop was pre-installed with a Vista OS and it crawled literally (it was sluggish to say the least) on some applications. Hence, the downgrade in the OS.

My XP now runs smoothly. I wanted to have the applications (2 encyclopedias- Encarta 2009 and Britannica 2009) on my netbook run faster. Then I came across Eboostr on the net. Its technology is similar to that of Readyboost in Vista but quite more powerful. Moreover, I used my entire 8Gig USB to act like a RAM and it work quite well for me.

BTW, prior to downgrading to Windows XP, with the Vista on my mini 12, I also tried readyboost. But sad to say, there was no visible difference between having readyboost or none. Besides, readyboost is limited only to 4gig on my 8gig USB...

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Sell it and get a real notebook. Don't worry, I and the other tsikoteers are willing to help you out choose a new one. No point in suffering due to a slow netbook.

There's an Asus notebook (LED backlit screen) here for around 28+K. you can stuff 8gb RAM in it and it comes with 250gb hdd already (and a dvdrw of course).

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I forgot to add, a decent Dual Core OoOE* processor running at 2.0GHz

atom is an IOE processor. That is the main reason why it's dead-turtle slow.
    Last edited by Horsepower; June 22nd, 2009 at 09:03 AM.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Sell it and get a real notebook. Don't worry, I and the other tsikoteers are willing to help you out choose a new one. No point in suffering due to a slow netbook.
    Netbooks have a distinct advantage with weight and battery life. The DELL Mini-12 is just a bad netbook, with it's memory limited to only 1gb among other things.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Yeah dell practically killed this model.

Eboostr and My Dell Mini 12-XP Pro Netbook