New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Very informative sirs, akala ko pa naman pawala na ang AM ^_^

Now if only smartphone makers could add AM in their phones..
    Three words: Ferrite core antenna

AM receivers requires a significantly long antenna (the lower the resonant frequency, the longer the wavelength). In short, AM receivers uses a very long wire coiled around a ferrite core/bar. Modern smartphones are jam-packed with parts and the last thing manufacturers need is an AM antenna eating up maybe 1/10 to 1/5 the space.

FM radio, which works on a higher frequency (VHF), are able to receive signals with a significantly shorter antenna, typically a telescopic one or by utilizing the headphone/handsfree wires (to get rid of the still bulky, telescopic antenna).

2. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Three words: Ferrite core antenna

AM receivers requires a significantly long antenna (the lower the resonant frequency, the longer the wavelength). In short, AM receivers uses a very long wire coiled around a ferrite core/bar. Modern smartphones are jam-packed with parts and the last thing manufacturers need is an AM antenna eating up maybe 1/10 to 1/5 the space.

FM radio, which works on a higher frequency (VHF), are able to receive signals with a significantly shorter antenna, typically a telescopic one or by utilizing the headphone/handsfree wires (to get rid of the still bulky, telescopic antenna).

hmm, baka pwede na po earphones as antenna? :D

Seriously though, the GE clock radio i have doesn't have a physical(or at least, visible) antenna, but the reception is pretty good at ground floor, lots of buildings but relatively lots of open space.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by badkuk View Post
    Very informative sirs, akala ko pa naman pawala na ang AM ^_^

Now if only smartphone makers could add AM in their phones..
    sony did, some time back.. i think only two (me and my officemate) bought it.. i don't see the model anymore.
    wala siguro ibang bumili..

i was told, the EM signals generated by the cellphone circuitry, interfered with the AM signals, requiring good shielding.. i am not sure if this is true.

besides, sosyal na sosyal ka't naka-cellphone ka na nga.. tapos makikinig ka kay kabayan at ted failon?
    heh heh.

(don't get me wrong... my talapihitan is superglued to their station.)

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456