New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Everybody's easing into cloud storage, whether they know it or not. Remember when most webmail mailbox sizes were a measly 1-2MB in the 90s? Now, you get 10GB, easy.

Specific to cloud storage, I use DropBox (5.8GB), iCloud (5GB), Google Drive (5GB), and SkyDrive (25GB). All free.

That said, I also have my 10TB (5x 2TB) Homeserver to fulfill my family's PC backup and media storage needs.

Portable documents, I keep in my 32GB USB thumbdrive... which is synced to my notebook's Briefcase and backed up to my homeserver.

I'm a data hoard. :D

BTT: If you're adventurous and you have or can find a spare similar drive, do a head swap. Hard Drive Data Recovery - Western Digital Head Swap - YouTube
    Last edited by oj88; June 19th, 2012 at 07:17 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Everybody's easing into cloud storage, whether they know it or not. Remember when most webmail mailbox sizes were a measly 1-2MB in the 90s? Now, you get 10GB, easy.

Specific to cloud storage, I use DropBox (5.8GB), iCloud (5GB), Google Drive (5GB), and SkyDrive (25GB). All free.

That said, I also have my 10TB (5x 2TB) Homeserver to fulfill my family's PC backup and media storage needs.

Portable documents, I keep in my 32GB USB thumbdrive... which is synced to my notebook's Briefcase and backed up to my homeserver.

I'm a data hoard. :D

BTT: If you're adventurous and you have or can find a spare similar drive, do a head swap. Hard Drive Data Recovery - Western Digital Head Swap - YouTube

The only "cloud" service I use is my email. The rest is still good old hardware.

Honestly speaking, the CLOUD is only as good as your data connection. Given the crappy speeds, so-so reliability and non-universality of wifi access, the CLOUD is still not as good an experience as compared to Korea or elsewhere with fast internet speeds.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The only "cloud" service I use is my email. The rest is still good old hardware.

Honestly speaking, the CLOUD is only as good as your data connection. Given the crappy speeds, so-so reliability and non-universality of wifi access, the CLOUD is still not as good an experience as compared to Korea or elsewhere with fast internet speeds.
    A NAS or an in-premise server or storage will still have a purpose.

To be more specific, I'm not talking about uploading/downloading GB-sized files like movies and full SQL databases over the Internet. Just small files that you want synced-up, say, with your different mobile devices. In which case, cloud storage works very well. DropBox and SkyDrive are such examples. I can have the same files available on my laptop, home PC, work PC, iPad, or my Adroid phone. All done over the Internet. I rarely need more than a couple of files at a time. File sizes range from a few hundred KBs to several MBs at most.

To be totally honest, I seldom had to use my 32GB USB thumbdrive because of cloud storage.

Of course, having an unlimited data plan helps. :D

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 1D4LV View Post
    i dont think it is possible to recover data from that. hardware problem na yan eh.... baka misaligned na....
    the only possibility to recover data from that is to send it to the manufacturer, kaya lang you will be spending a premium...
    kung valuable data, isipin mo kung worth it.... kung hindi, forget about it and learn your lessons.
    Daming data recovery companies dito sa PH. Just google it.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    tignan mo baka pwede pa ma RMA yung hard disk mo. anything na nagclicking sound ang HD, good luck. professional service kailangan kung irecover yung files sa ganyang condition. try mo lang... lagay mo hard disk mo sa zip bag, tapos lagay mo sa freezer. overnight siguro. then try mo ikabit. mas maganda kung may external hard disk case para sa HD mo para mas madali. pag nakilala at mabasa ang contents, backup mo na agad. kaso, this is a 50-50 chance.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    not an expert but i had similar experiences, mixed results. One instance my HD cant be detected in windows, downloaded some data recovery software from the net, and it was able to detect the HD. From that software i was able to recover some files, however some were already badly corrupted. I also did the freeze your HD, dropping the HD, shaking it etc, but it didnt work.

im quite sure that there are proffessional data recovery services out there, i think they charge per MB/GB. goodluck sir!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Desktop fell, harddrive with constant clicking sound. Not detected by computer