New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    yes it does used it but heavy fragmentation pa rin. Can't reduce my fragmentation below 38%

Laptop so only one drive. How do you change the size of the page file? I'll try burning my *******s into dvds and deleting them from my hard drive. Just need to buy blank dvds. Then defrag again.
    My suggestion would be to buy an external usb2 hard drive no larger than 2.5". That way, it can be powered through the usb port. If you have a Mac laptop, it has 6-pin firewire ports which would be my preference (most pc laptops only have 4-pin firewire). If you're going to get into video files, an external hard drive is a critical storage option. DVD platters are ok. DVD+/-RW will be even better with Vista. But, they do take an awfully long time to write into. An external hard drive is the most painless way to store large video files.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    diskeeper gamit ko dati but now i don't use defragmenter

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    I don't care what MS says.
    its not what MS says, its the general rule for creating page files in any OS not just windows.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roninblade View Post
    its not what MS says, its the general rule for creating page files in any OS not just windows.
    That's true. But, most computers come with only 1 hard drive and MS has maintained that it's best to let the OS manage the page file. On that aspect, I disagree with MS.

Add: Even on tech sites like Ars Technica, there's still a big disagreement on that issue.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; December 16th, 2006 at 09:37 PM.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    try contig and its freeware power defragmenter gui. both utilities are available as free downloads from softpedia.com. contig is dos based and the gui is frugal to say the least so there's no progress indicator. just run it, keep yourself from hitting the close window button on the dos box and wait for the defrag complete notification. can defrag 60% full 250gig hd in 3/4 the time required for winxp's defrag utility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
defragmenter