Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Something to think about....

Core 2 Duo = two Core Duo chips in a single package

EDIT: Core 2 Duo EXTREME = two Core 2 Duo chips in a single package
    EDIT: Core 2 Duo = second gen dual core after Core Duo
    EDIT: Sorry my bad.

I think the benefits of Core 2 Duo are generally less power consumption and more parallelism (very good for gaming or running 50 excel macros at the same time or running video+music+application+download+game at the same time).

If you run only 1 excel macro on either Core 2 Duo or Core Duo the difference, if any, isn't really that significant imho.

So how do you plan to use your system?
    Last edited by RafRaf; November 15th, 2006 at 08:37 AM. Reason: mis-information... correcting it!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i did not ask the question to decide which to buy as i've already bought one around 2 weeks ago (core 2 duo). i asked the question just to know if there really is a significant difference in performance between the two processors. the price difference between a core duo 2ghz and a core 2 duo at 1.66ghz, as i recall, is minimal. so i like to know if i made the right choice in getting a newer processor, albeit at a lower speed.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    mali yata ito?

Quote Originally Posted by RafRaf View Post
    Something to think about....

Core 2 Duo = two Core Duo chips in a single package

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by batang_raon14 View Post
    When I meant "biased" sir, I simply meant that the review was much leaning to the newer processor compared to the latter. This is normal with any review of a product that is expected to compete with a relatively "previous" product.

I already lent my technical-know-how to the thread starter sir the moment I mentioned this:

Now, my opinion is that current business applications (like MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.), do not need much of the CPU's advanced features to load it. Even the old P3's with 800-1000MHz could load it easily.

It is also written sir in the review that using laptops for gaming purposes are still similar to how it went years ago. You can't just really find a laptop that can play games as fast as desktops. And the chances that a customer will buy a laptop exclusively for gaming is at a 1 out of 10.

Yeah, pretty soon WiMax will be incorporated, and like you said ... Since you stated this, I could assume that just like me, you were also going for the practicality of things. Am I right sir? Because if I were to say, that's the main focus of my posts. IMHO lang po.
    Wow i think you missed the point of buying Core 2 Duo & Core Duo laptops... R u ripping MP3 files sir? R u doing some kind of picture editing? R u doing simple photo videos? if yes then i guess you will benefit on using laptopns based on Intel Core Micro architecture... Sa buhay natin ngayon na kailangan matapos lahat ng mga bagay ng mabilis like spread sheet calculations, MP3 decoding encoding, at gawa ng Photo Stories... siguro naman you will not stick with your P3 processor right????

Ever tried doing pivot tables with 65,000 lines of data???? Plus running a Macro? I guess you haven't tried that that's why you cannot appreciate having true processing power....

And of course there is the pending upgrade to Windows Vista which demands so much processing power because its kernel is based on Windows Server 2003... Come on if you have the money to buy speed then you should start buying it now... Coz even PC World & PC Mag have said that processing power is much needed now that we are running anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, instant messengers that are memory hogs, some games on the side, audio, video, photo editing, and of course your trusty Microsoft Word...

If you cannot cope up with the multi tasking demands of computing & everyday life then I guess go stick with your AMD K3-650s and Pentium 3 800s...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    mali yata ito?
    Mejo tama din yan sir... may Quad-Core na ang pangalan ay Core 2 Duo Extreme something something... bobo nga ng Intel e... di pa tinawag na Core 2 Quadro para tapos na...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    i did not ask the question to decide which to buy as i've already bought one around 2 weeks ago (core 2 duo). i asked the question just to know if there really is a significant difference in performance between the two processors. the price difference between a core duo 2ghz and a core 2 duo at 1.66ghz, as i recall, is minimal. so i like to know if i made the right choice in getting a newer processor, albeit at a lower speed.
    In my opinion sir based on processing power... sa Core Duo 2Ghz na lang ako... at nasabi ko na rin ang reasons based sa sinabi ko sa taas... kasi the Core 2 Duo 1.6 Ghz is the same as the Core Duo 1.6 Ghz. Same L2 cache, same FSB, only difference is 64-bit option. Wala pang Hardware Virtualization...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Sir boybi and mikmik. Sorry, mukhang mali start ko. My apologies.

Anyways, it really depends sir to how you coin the term "significant". For serious PC gamers, 3 points less than the other could mean like P10000 reduced to P3000. For those using a computer just for the heck of typing and generally paper work, as long as it could load an application fast, then all is well. If you're the latter-type, there really isn't much of a difference IMO. But if you're the former, everything just has to be the best there is.

But to answer the question straight, I think sir mikmik gave the best answer there is:

Now if we talk a Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz with 2Mb Cache versus a Core Duo 2.0Ghz with 2Mb Cache... Ang lamang lang ng Core 2 Duo model na ito based on my research is the 64-bit capability... hindi sinama ng Intel ang hardware based virtualization technology nito at parehas pa silang 667Mhz ang FSB...
    and

So in terms of speed mas mabilis pa rin ang Core Duo 2.0.... Now if you will compare it to the Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz with 4Mb Cache then mas mabilis ang later pero mas mahal...
    Yun lang po. Good eve!

8. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Like I said mikmik, my apologies. Anyways, I have to admit I'm getting old. It's been a while since my priorities have shifted from computers to cars, so much of what I learn these days are on automobiles. I still upgrade my PC, but never at a rate as quick as the rate my salary arrives compared to before. But, I'll still give my comment, if I may:

Quote Originally Posted by mikmik316
    Wow i think you missed the point of buying Core 2 Duo & Core Duo laptops... R u ripping MP3 files sir? R u doing some kind of picture editing? R u doing simple photo videos? if yes then i guess you will benefit on using laptops based on Intel Core Micro architecture... Sa buhay natin ngayon na kailangan matapos lahat ng mga bagay ng mabilis like spread sheet calculations, MP3 decoding encoding, at gawa ng Photo Stories... siguro naman you will not stick with your P3 processor right????
    Yes, I rip MP3 files. But the quantity of what I rip is minimal. So personally the difference of the time to complete the task with the best processor in the market as of now wouldn't do wonders on me. Same goes with my simple video edits, maya designing, JAVA, etc.. I don't mind the wait. As long as the program does not crash, all is well on my side. Yes, there are deadlines, but it isn't necessarily that short to make you buy a new set of PC or laptop ASAP. My keystone is to start as soon as a project has been given at work. Haven't failed to submit before the deadline eversince.

And of course there is the pending upgrade to Windows Vista which demands so much processing power because its kernel is based on Windows Server 2003...
    Yes, upgrade to Vista is on due. But I don't think a low-spec CPU of this generation couldn't do well on its platform. If I recall correctly, I read once in PCMag that same statement when Windows XP was about to be released then (high minimum requirements and all). And after 4 years, to my surprise, a PPC forumer posted a WinXP running well much lower than the minimum requirements issued by Microsoft for the OS itself.

Come on if you have the money to buy speed then you should start buying it now... Coz even PC World & PC Mag have said that processing power is much needed now that we are running anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, instant messengers that are memory hogs, some games on the side, audio, video, photo editing, and of course your trusty Microsoft Word...
    Same, this is what they've long been saying since time eternal. But indeed, it is true. The newer things get, the higher its thirst for a better spec PC. Better CPU, higher RAM, improved video card, etc.. If I have the money, sure I would have started buying, but I can't upgrade continously as there are several expenses running around in the family besides buying PC parts.

If you cannot cope up with the multi tasking demands of computing & everyday life then I guess go stick with your AMD K3-650s and Pentium 3 800s...
    Now I admitted I'm old, but not that old to the point that I still stick with a kopong-kopong CPU. The demands of computing may revolve around computers, but not everyday life. I can enjoy my daily jogs without multi-tasking, I can play chess and use my logic without hyper-threading my brain, I can draw my paintings in a canvass without the need for Smart Shaders, Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, etc.. So we can't just integrate one with the other.

but I really admire this statement of yours sir:
    bobo nga ng Intel e...
    I just love to hear that anytime of the day.

BTW, really, I'm getting old but not that old. hehe... like I said, I upgrade my PC but I prioritize my car for now. Here's my essential PC's specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    MSI K8N Neo4-Platinum
    200GB Seagate SATA
    2x 1GB PQI 667 DDR2
    Gigabyte GeForce 7300GT 256mb 128bit
    LG DVD-Writer GSAH20N
    an LG 17" LCD and lastly pipitsuging modified IRock na casing modified by Tantric Modz.

Hope this clarifies things.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Hey sir don't think I have the best & latest... I still use right now my Pentium 4 1.8Ghz Northwood Processor + Intel 845G chipset + 1Gb DDR333 + Samsung PATA 80Gb + Sony DVD Combro Drive + 15 inch AOC LCD Monitor... Yeah I'm not a gamer & I just have a lowly myDSL 999 connection.... And all of my knowledge with Core 2 Duo came in because I'm building such systems for clients as well as our family will be buying soon a laptop... But as a PC System Builder... all I can say is that I have 10 years of experience and I have met every kind of customer who wants every kind of computer system but have stop them in making hasty conclusion and make them realize they are spending too much for processing power they don't need...

I would soon be a Mac convert... just waiting for Leopard + Core 2 Duo combination.....

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    I see. Well, now I know and now I learn. Peace sir! :peace:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Core Duo 2.0GHz vs Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz