New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Ano nga ang pinakabilis na connection medium for broadband internet???

Also, what are the pros and cons of each connection method?

For example, I know that ADSL 2 increases downstream speed to the 50 mpbs range as its minimum. Yet cable naman (like sa Starhub Singapore) has a top speed of 100 mbps (=100,000 kbps) pero it's less-resistant daw to lighting/thunder than DSL lines. Fiber optic naman malakas yung integrity and speeds are good pero it depends on implementation kasi limited usually ang coverage (sa USA, Verizon only has it in a few areas atm). Satellite naman, no wires kaya no ground interference pero signal could be hampered daw by radio frequencies. Then of course there's wireless, full mobility pero signal strength slows down big time when you have lots of walls in ur area.

So ano ba talaga ang fastest???

2. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    syempre fiber-optic, speed of light

kunsabagay satellite is like microwave, speed of light din kaya lang susceptible eto sa noise

DSL is really fibre-optic. pagdating lang ata sa PSTN saka naging shielded twisted pair

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
    syempre fiber-optic, speed of light

kunsabagay satellite is like microwave, speed of light din kaya lang susceptible eto sa noise

DSL is really fibre-optic. pagdating lang ata sa PSTN saka naging shielded twisted pair
    Yup. Fiber-Optic should be the fastest. My cousin has fiber-optic broadband in Japan. We have cable broadband here (Cox Cable). It's not the fastest anymore. But it's still fast. The only time I really tested cable was when downloading operating system iso's. Linux Mandriva and Vista Ultimate RC1 both take up around +/- 3GB apiece. Both took around an hour to download. To me, that's fast enough. Fiber-optic should be even quicker.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    If all we're talking about is raw speed, it's fiber hands down. None of that matters if your ISP has slow or problematic upstream connections though.

IOW, mabilis nga from your house to your ISP (fiber), pero kung mabagal naman from your ISP to the rest of the Internet, wala din.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    If all we're talking about is raw speed, it's fiber hands down. None of that matters if your ISP has slow or problematic upstream connections though.
    That's true. Here, we're lucky Cox Cable is a very good ISP. Very reliable servers.

That's probably why they can afford to give 1GB of storage for my primary email. I'm also allotted up to 6 other email addresses with 100mb storage apiece and another 10mb apiece for picture-hosting and file storage. That's also why I'm prolific with posting images here. They come from my own storage instead of having to use something like PhotoBucket.

Has anyone here tested all three types in say, You Tube? I didn't see any big difference between FB and cable. You Tube videos were fast to load on both.

Our neighbor has QWest dsl. For the most part, You Tube videos played fine although the d/l rate was slower than the first 2 broadband types. There was also times when some videos would stop momentarily because the ISP couldn't sustain the d/l rate. I don't think I'd try to attempt d/l 3 Gb iso's with dsl unless it's adsl2 or something. That one I haven't seen yet.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; May 19th, 2007 at 06:54 AM.

Broadband internet comparo: DSL vs Cable vs Fiber-Optic vs Satellite vs whatever