New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    It's a big misconception that AMDs are hot. Until the Core came along the Pentium4s were the hottest, shittiest, power-wasting, low-performance processors... The prescott P4s didn't even save power while idle...
    +1

alang kwenta ang P4

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
    It's a big misconception that AMDs are hot. Until the Core came along the Pentium4s were the hottest, shittiest, power-wasting, low-performance processors... The prescott P4s didn't even save power while idle...
    They really are hot since I've tried OCing both of them. P4's and Athlons.

Well, I guess it's only applicable when OCing the procie.

Regarding the Prescott's Core's, they may not be cool like it's predecessors nor its successor but nevertheless, you can still get good temps not like the Athlon's before. The Athlon's are from 35-47 at peak (no oc involved) and the prescott's are from 40-47 at peak (No OC involved) but then look at the size of the fans that came along with the procies out of the box. The athlon fans have higher RPM than the P4's.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JCBalunsat View Post
    They really are hot since I've tried OCing both of them. P4's and Athlons.

Well, I guess it's only applicable when OCing the procie.

Regarding the Prescott's Core's, they may not be cool like it's predecessors nor its successor but nevertheless, you can still get good temps not like the Athlon's before. The Athlon's are from 35-47 at peak (no oc involved) and the prescott's are from 40-47 at peak (No OC involved) but then look at the size of the fans that came along with the procies out of the box. The athlon fans have higher RPM than the P4's.
    35-47C is quite cool. Those are the temps I've gotten with my AMD X2 4200+. The Athlon XP's and Thunderbirds were the ones that were quite hot, often going beyond +60C even at idle. The P4's were even hotter.

But, the processors seemed to held up fine at such hot temps. So, long as the pc wasn't in some confined location, they're ok. That's why my wife's Athlon XP 1700+ pc is sitting on the top of my desk instead of in the computer bay below. The Athlon XP simply gets too hot. Once I build a new pc with a cooler C2D cpu I can use that computer bay again.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Which Is The Best Processor?