New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Consider centOS a try as it is basically RedHat Enterprise Linux , and it's due for a new release possibly by March ( Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 ) . My experience with centOS 4.4 was good and has been reliable so far. It is a good alternative to openSUSE or Mandriva .
    Another one that you can try and customize to no end is Slackware. I tried many distros and I keep coming back to it .
    Linux really came a long way.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    As a Windows XP/Vista RC1 user, a little over half of all my apps are open-source or freeware. The rest are commercial/bundled software, and no bootleg apps. Some of the few apps in Windows (and Macs) that I'd like to see in Linux are a decent video-editing app and a dvd movie creator/data disc creator. Cinerrela seems to be the best. But even it is pretty flaky compared to say, Ulead Video Studio 10 (Win) and iMovie HD (Mac). Even the hated MovieMaker in XP is now much more robust under Vista as is the new built-in dvd maker.

As a desktop OS, Linux itself is fine. But, I feel, there are (many) gaps in its software lineup, not including games. If the open-source crowd can improve the video-editing apps shortfall, I'd be spending much more time in Linux.....

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    as much as i'd like to see open source win...sometimes, in the current situation, i guess it won't happen anytime soon.

example:

we use excel worksheets for creating the evaluations of agents. these sheets won't work properly with openoffice's calc, most importantly, uploading to a database. and the look and feel of the sheet when opened with calc, it feels so clumsy awkward - let's just say that in 7.5 hours, i can handle 25 sheets (including listening to the records) with excel, but i'd need 10 hours to handle the same number and same task with calc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
any open source movement/group/alliance members here?