New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    My concern with the Xtreamer Sidewinder is the apparent slow performance of its LAN port. As quoted from http://www.digitalversus.com/xtreame..._9367_426.html

Networking is covered by a 100 Mbps Ethernet port. Wi-Fi is available in the form of an optional USB adapter. In both cases transfer speeds are low, at around 5.2 MBps for the wired connection or 3.0 MBps for Wi-Fi. This makes streaming 1080p videos housed in an MKV container a pretty painful process. The maximum transfer speed via the wired connection is 28 Mbps, or 15 Mbps for Wi-Fi. You'd therefore be better off sticking to 720p or SD videos for glitch-free viewing.
    Take note of the following norm in describing bandwidth, in case you're not paying attention:

Mbps - megabits per second
    MBps - megabytes per second

All of my SD and HD video collection are hosted on my home network, so LAN throughput is important.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    I take it you don't like Apple's Mac Mini?
    I don't get it. Wrong thread?

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    So I bought the WD TV Live. I know some of you are disappointed with my decision, so allow me to finish.

I decided to hold on the HTPC for a bit longer. But to make it bearable, I started looking for add-ins. Doing so, led me to the Media Browser plug-in. MB adds Cover Flow and automatic download of metadata (among others), making Windows 7 Media Center more polished. It really gave new life to my HTPC.

As for the WD TV Live, I installed it in my parents bedroom as a Christmas gift. They were ecstatic! Hindi lang pala ako ang nagsasawa na sa cable TV.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    congrats! I would also prefer the WD TV live but it is not yet available when i purchased mine.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    OJ88, apple's Mac mini is a good home theater media player that's why I asked if you don't like it. hehe

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    OJ88, apple's Mac mini is a good home theater media player that's why I asked if you don't like it. hehe
    Oohh... You meant it in that context. My bad.

Anyway, I personally do not hate Apple in general. I agree that the Mac Mini presents a very good platform to build an HTPC. I just find the solution too expensive. I can't afford to pay 3-4x as much compared to a MS-based DIY HTPC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
All about Networked Media Tanks (NMT)