New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Anyone know why they used another Lancer model instead of an Evo? they call it Lancer wrc05.

I wonder why they prefer this platform? I mean, they could widen the Evo if they wanted to....

An Evo fan sana magkaroon nako nito. hehe

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    An Evo fan sana magkaroon nako nito. hehe
    Why dont you get one?

Anyone know why they used another Lancer model instead of an Evo? they call it Lancer wrc05.

I wonder why they prefer this platform?

Here's why:

The FIA World Rally Championship regulations have changed in a number of areas for 2005 and the Mitsubishi Motor Sports team has seized this chance to further enhance key areas of the Lancer WRC05. One of the most notable changes permits manufactures to increase the width of the car body shell by 30mm, from 1770 mm to 1800 mm. Taking advantage of this opportunity, the Lancer WRC05 now has re-designed front and rear wings, rear quarters and bumpers, making subtle visual changes but aiding stability.

In tandem with this, longer suspension links and drive-shafts are required and uprights have been modified to optimize the suspension geometry. In short, there has been a complete review of the suspension and, while the Tarmac-specification dampers used in the 2004 Rallye Catalunya-Rally de España were designed to comply with the new wider body shell of the WRC05, specific changes have been made to adapt the uprights and dampers to the new geometry on the gravel specification Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05. While retaining a light-weight form, these will improve stiffness and be used from Rally México onwards. Further modifications to the internal components are also then planned, affording greater freedom and finer tuning.

Improvements to the engine include new waste gate and anti-lag valves, both of which will be run from Rallye Monte-Carlo. These parts, working with an improved engine control, will give a significant performance improvement and more accurate tuning possibilities.
    The car is actually based on the WRC04.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    technically, you could still say it's an evo, but one *loosely based* on the roadgoing version. why? because they use the WRC class rules now and not Group A. the WRC rules give additional leeway (a lot actually, hehehe) in terms of modifications, and they don't require a certain number of units to be mass-produced and sold to customers before being allowed to compete, unlike the Group A. consequently, even if the company decides to drop the name from the roadgoing models, it could still be used for the WRC class.

the last Gr. A Lancer Evo was the Evo 6.5, and then they switched to the WRC class.

Group N evos are the close to stock specs.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    thanks guys, they could have atleast stuck with the evo body (flares) and lights hehe.

Don't you think they could've done all these mods on an existing Evo? baka they just want the basic lancer sales to go up? sorry, I'm too not car tuning literate.

Why don't I have one yet? hehe... My funds does not permit it yet (just bought a car last year).... and the wife requires me to have an ample amount of savings before buying this toy. will have to save up... and hopefully, the Evo IX will drop in price.
    a grey importer here is bringing the 9 in for 3.5 m.... around 70 k usd. uhm, no thanks.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    the current lancer wrc's styling was actually a case of "form follows function" after all the time they spent testing aerodynamics at the wind tunnel.

now as for the mods, you could say that it's still a basic evo, they just added/changed some parts here and there...etc. :D

what happened to the Evo on wrc?