New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Top Filipino Racers survive the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

December 15, 2008. San Francisco, CA – For the first time, a team of Filipinos have successfully completed the longest race in North America, the NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill presented by the U.S. Air Force. Gaby Dela Merced, Robbie Montinola and Angelo Barretto co-drove the Team Castrol-Speed Trapp Racing BMW M3 to a 6th place finish in class and a 12th place finish overall, out of a large field of 68 racecars.

After qualifying 3rd place in class, the team started the race off strong and developed a solid pace to keep the car intact for the 25-hour race. After a few hours, Team Castrol-Speed Trapp Racing took the lead in the E0 class and continued to stay in the Top 3. Driver changes went flawless, pit stops were excellent and the Team Castrol-STR strategy was working well. Only one unscheduled pit stop was made during the first half of the race and all the drivers drove great stints. As the race reached darkness, thick fog began to roll in and the race was stopped due to the dangerous conditions. Not till 5AM did the race resume and it became an all out sprint to the finish.

"The fog was unfortunate, we had a strong car at night with very capable drivers and I felt we would pull away during the dark," said Montinola. "Overall, the car was great and the Team Castrol-STR crew did an amazing job. It was a close race to the finish and I believe we can win next year!"

During the morning stints, a few unscheduled pit stops had to be made due to a flat tire and a change of brake pads. After, the drivers were given the go-ahead to run flat out until the finish. Running a very fast pace, the Team Castrol-STR M3 was making up time and gaining positions but fell short in time and crossed the line in 6th place. "Just finishing is an amazing feat and a Top 10 finish is a great place to build off of for next year," said Montinola. "We know what we need to do for 2009 and have a whole year to prepare for this race. We'll go for the win!"

Dela Merced, who not only was participating in her first long-distance race, but also racing at Thunderhill for the first time, commented that, "...things were so different from what I am used to. I have a new respect for the challenges of endurance racing." She was also quick to mention that much teamwork was involved saying, "...Robbie coached me over the radio and Angelo helped me to prepare mentally for driver changes and passing slower traffic."

Barretto assessed the race as a success in terms of the Team Philippines Racing program saying, "...the first race that we've run together has demonstrated that the talent is there and that it is worth developing." He also complimented them adding that, "Robbie used his intimate track knowledge to gain time on our rivals and push the pace after passing them, while Gaby adapted quickly to the additional elements of an endurance race such as speedy driver changes, and negotiating through traffic and drivers of different levels."

"I was particularly impressed with the dynamic of the Team," Barretto stressed. "They shared their knowledge and resources openly with us and gave us a great opportunity to go for a win out there."

Officially the 2008 racing season is now over and our drivers will prepare for the 2009 season. Dela Merced hopes to do sprint events in the US, Montinola is working on an ALMS program and Barretto hopes to return to America to race in sports cars again. The Filipinos are making waves in international motorsports and hope to bring home many more championships.

Castrol Team STR is sponsored by Castrol Philippines, Speed Trapp Racing, Edge Motorworks, Sennheiser, Skip Barber Racing School, Puma, Tag Heuer Sportvision, TPR Magazine and Xenon Bulbs.

About the 25 Hours of Thunderhill

The NASA 25 Hours of Thunderhill presented by the U.S. Air Force is the longest endurance race in the United States. Sanctioned by NASA, the National Auto Sport Association, The 25 Hours of Thunderhill features a large field nonstop action and prestige of the event attract top teams and drivers from across the country to compete in this race. The 25 Hours of Thunderhill takes place at Thunderhill Raceway Park, a few hours north of the San Francisco Bay Area.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Uy... inggit! I wish I could have watched! Congrats, guys! Within the top ten on the first time out! That's quite an achievement!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    nice and congrats! way to represent Filipino's in Motorsports

aite, peace.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    thanks guys!

i hope to be racing in IMSA Lights or ALMS this coming year and solidify a career in sports car racing.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Congrats.Galing.

Top Filipino Racers survive the 25 Hours of Thunderhill