New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    JP-8 Jet Fuel: An Overview

JP-8 jet fuel was developed as a jet fuel in response to problems encountered in use of JP-4 jet fuel. By the fall of 1996, JP-8 completely replaced JP-4 in the United States Air Force. Compared to JP-4, JP-8 has a higher flash point and lower vapor pressure, making it less volatile; contains less benzene, a known carcinogen; and contains less n-hexane, a known neurotoxicant. However, as a kerosene-based fuel, JP-8 has a strong odor and is oily to the touch, while JP-4, a kerosene-gasoline mix, is less pungent and has a non-oily, solvent-like feel.

It has been estimated that approximately 60 billion gallons are used worldwide each year, with 4.5 billion used by the US Air Force, the US Army, and NATO. The US Navy uses JP-5, which is very similar to JP-8. JP-8 is also used to fuel heaters, stoves, tanks, and other vehicles in military service; and used as coolant for engines and other aircraft components. JP-8 is planned on being used at least until the year 2025 as the battlefield fuel for all U.S. military operations. The Department of Defense has recognized JP-8 as the single largest chemical exposure for its personnel. JP-8 without several additives is Jet A or commercial fuel.

As a newer type of fuel, the hazards of the use of JP-8 are less fully known. OSHA & ACGIH have no promulgated exposure standards set for the use of JP-8. The Navy has a standard of 8 hours of PEL of 350 mg/m3 and 15 min STEL of 1800 mg/m3. The higher flash pt of JP-8, along with its low volatility cause cold starts and engine coking. Cold starts result in exposure to unburned aerosolized fuel, and the low volatility makes it easier for fuel to remain on surfaces such as skin and clothes. Workers have complained of smelling and tasting JP-8 many hours after cessation of the exposure. They have also reported dizziness, lightheadedness and skin problems.

The bottom line is that JP-8 aerosols are easily produced and less likely to evaporate. This has increased contact/residence time of jet fuel on surfaces, which increases the risk of toxic response.

HTH :mrgreen:

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    cale,

request uli, kung pwede.

may pics ka ba ng interior nyan?

kung wala, ayos lang

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tebats
    cale,

request uli, kung pwede.

kung wala, ayos lang
    kaw kasi tebats, di ka nagpunta sa hot air balloon festival sa clark. nakita mo sana. very bare naman yung loob nya, puro bakal. yung instrument panel, napaka simple, automatic yung nakita ko, dalwa lang pedals e, tapos mukhang di comfortable yung drivers seat. di mo mai re-recline. sayang lang di ako nakapagdala ng camera non.

+ dun sa speedometer nya 40 or 60 mph lang naka-indicate. yun ba talaga top speed nya? less than 100 kph? yung black na nakita ko, merong provision for mounting machine gun turret -- kaya lang walang machine gun na nakamount, yung butas lang.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    cale,

request uli, kung pwede.

kung wala, ayos lang
    you know i dont have a picture gallery but when i have one i will post some pics, rsnald is absolutely right, the interior of an M998 HMMWV (humvee) is bare and plain, seats are not comfortable all aluminum and steel inside, no AC, no stereo, its an automatic there are only two pedals the gas and brake pedals. there are 3 levers, hand brake, 4wd and auto tranny. instrument panel at very simple and basic, if you have seen a military jeep that's it..nothing fancy
    peace out

cale

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    rsnald,

di nga ako nakapunta nun, may ginawa ata ako nung araw na yun e.

i just wanna have a concrete picture in my head what it really looks like inside. la lang, may nangangati kasi sa utak ko e. gusto lang malaman. :wink:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tebats,

Sakay ka ng Jeepney. Ganun din halos loob nun. Wala lang borloloy. :mrgreen:

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i have some pics of the interior of our M998...where can i post them....thanks

peace out

cale

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    if you want, send them to me,

tebats513*lycos.com

ako na ang magpopost :wink:

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    if you want, send them to me,

tebats513*lycos.com

ako na ang magpopost :wink:
    sent ......thanks

peace ya all

cale

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tebats
    pa send din nung interior pics.
    =)
    thanks

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Offroading with the US 7th cavalry in Iraq???