Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Montoya crashes out in NASCAR debut
    Sun 19 Nov, 11:50 PM

--AFP/Robert Laberge
    AFP/Robert Laberge
    view photo

HOMESTEAD, United States (AFP) - Former Formula One star Juan Pablo Montoya's elite-level stock car debut ended in a fiery crash but the Colombian racer escaped without injury to finish 34th at the Ford 400.

Montoya started 29th and was 13th in the 43-car field with 40 laps remaining in the 267-lap season-ending race of the closed-cockpit National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) series.

"The car worked well. We proved we can run up there," Montoya said. "But it's not going to be easy. I felt great out there. It was awesome racing."

But on a restart 16 laps from the end, Montoya's car was nudged from behind by a rival, skidded to the right and slammed into the outer wall of the 1.5-mile Homestead-Miami Speedway oval.

The car slammed into the barrier, flames bursting out of the rear as the fuel tank exploded and the car skidded down the track into the infield, spreading debris across the track that would halt the race for 20 minutes.

As flames leaped into the night air, Montoya quickly climbed through the driver's left side window hole and ran away from the car.

He was checked and released from the trackside hospital even before the debris was cleared away.

The South American star said he thought he was bumped by US rival Ryan Newman, whose number 12 car bumped into Montoya and slid into the grass infield a few laps earlier.

Newman kept going after the skid and possibly paid Montoya back for the incident.

"I think the 12 caught me in the back," Montoya said. "I don't care."

Montoya drove in developmental series events for car owner Chip Ganassi over the past two months in preparation for the challenge of taking on the best in the 36th NASCAR race of the year, one that decided the season championship.

"It has been getting better race by race," Montoya said. "I'm excited and looking forward to next season."

American Greg Biffle won the race while compatriot Jimmie Johnson captured the NASCAR season title by finishing ninth.
    same old montoya.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    why am I not surprised...

Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    why am I not surprised...
    same here po...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    JPM, that's him, "One Problem Montoya", as one child spoke his name during his F1 days....

:starwars:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kayo naman...don't be so hard on the poor guy. it wasn't his fault!

it was obviously the wall's fault. pininahan siya bigla at hindi sya nakailag :bwahaha:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Ohh my oh my..
    Flash News: .... Montoya will move to GO KART next season .. hahaha

7. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    ayan kase... soap box derby na bagsak nyan... ewan ko lang pag nasunog pa ang car nya... hehehehe

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    crash and burn!

same old JP

9. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Flash News: .... Montoya will move to GO KART next season .. hahaha
    hahah..Downgrade yan ah.
    Last edited by gearspeed; November 21st, 2006 at 04:45 PM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    It's quite clear that many of you guys became very much stereotypical. He was clipped from behind ok? You know, tagged by someone else. Another car spun him out. A rival hit him at the back. I hope it's already clear that he didn't cause the accident.

But it looks like Mr. Allen hasn't seen this thread yet. Oh well, I hope he hasn't leaved Tsikot for good yet.

Back to my personal view, Montoya has to make his mark here, or else it's all over for him. It was really a risky, if not imprudent move for him. If he doesn't succeed in NASCAR, his racing career will be very much just a memory in no time. But again, the crash wasn't his own doing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Montoya crashes in NASCAR debut