New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    that's the reality of the world we live in, it is ALL about the money. no question about it. without the corporate sponsorships, most, if not all, sports will shut down.

i can't call myself an expert in Formula 1, more of just a spectator really, but there is no denying that the only "quantifiable" way to determine good and great drivers will be by the number of races they win. maybe there is another way?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by brg998uk
    Finally, some equality amongst the equipment and true talent shines.
    Congratulations to the german, but can anyone argue who is faster now?

Kimi every time, more talent than anyone deserves!
    hehe...isn't this a bit much?

here we are in the middle of one of the most dominating sports performances of all time (comparable to Tiger Woods a few years ago or the 72-10 Chicago Bulls), and you're talking about one race (out of two) that he didn't manage to win?

that's like me talking trash about the Lakers winning game 2 but getting utterly whipped the other 4 games and losing 4-1...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by luckytruck
    but there is no denying that the only "quantifiable" way to determine good and great drivers will be by the number of races they win. maybe there is another way?
    i agree with you. as long as the wins are accomplished within the rules, then they are the only stats that matter, imo.

after all, the whole point of running the race is for someone to win, right? we don't have prizes for 'best driver not named schumacher' or 'best team that spends less than $1 billion on R&D'

the best analogy here is in US sports - you have baseball, where an owner can spend a ton of money and 'buy' a championship (like the Yankees). if you want parity, change the game - institute a hard spending cap like the NFL and see who wins. or give everyone the same car (like manufacturer's cup racing) and see who comes out on top.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    yup, but what i love most about sports is, even though it is all about the money, it is because of money (or the lack thereof) that the best stories are found.

take a look at the texas rangers. they traded the games most expensive player (Alex Rodriquez, to the yankees of course), and from being perpetual cellar dwellers, the are now in the hunt for a playoffs spot.

then you have the original florida marlins expansion team that won their first world series, yun ang cool

andy

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Originally posted by M54 Powered
    hehe...isn't this a bit much?

here we are in the middle of one of the most dominating sports performances of all time (comparable to Tiger Woods a few years ago or the 72-10 Chicago Bulls), and you're talking about one race (out of two) that he didn't manage to win?

that's like me talking trash about the Lakers winning game 2 but getting utterly whipped the other 4 games and losing 4-1...
    i agree with you on this.

btw, doesn't the 7-Time World Championship mean nothing just so Kimi won one race?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I guess you guys are all in the 20-25 age range?
    If so, you would not remember when a young MS won a race against a field that included a few world champions and people instantly began talking about the end of Williams Renault or Senna dominance?

There is no denying Ferrari reliability.
    The important fact is that finally a Merc engine held together and the one driver that has enough raw skill to use it, did.

No it is not too much, i am not going to run naked along Edsa but i will bet that anytime Kimi has a reliable car he will beat Shumacher in a head to head. Either of them.
    It's the dawn of a new era, and i for one hope that Kimi does not dominate as i hope at least 3 or 4 other drivers will be pushing him every race.

I am very lucky, i have met many drivers including Kimi who has something the others do or did not have. You can sense a absolute single minded purpose that is almost scary.....hopefully he will wait a few years before he has children and does a Mika

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kasi the way ferrari is dominating the season, a win by any team is front page already

(minus trulli's win at monaco)

pero i agree that kimi has the factor to dominate in the future, i guess peter sauber saw that earliest.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ahh yes... the end of the Schumi-Ferrari tandem / era... in a few years, yes... Schumi is already showing his age...

beat Schumi in a head to head? maybe. but that is formula1 racing. you've got the pits, the team strategy, the other cars, accidents and everything in between. remember the British GP? on how Schumi was able to snatch that victory from Kimi?

yes, Kimi may beat Schumi in a head to head. but all things considered, Schumi is still at the top of his class.

btw, is Kimi just showing some flash of the pan driving? IMO, Trulli is a more consistent driver than Kimi.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I guess you missed a few recent races.
    The only consistency Trulli has shown is being overtaken while apparently sleeping.

First time i have heard anyone suggest Kimi will be a flash in the pan! Most people recognise pure natural skill when they see it.
    1.5 seconds faster than Shumacher in a few corners? Ever see anyone do that before? Don't even think about trying to say Shumacher slowed because even tv cover shows that was not the case. Even Rubens would have passed him if he had slowed.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    i think we are getting off the topic but what the heck...

i also agree that kimi can be the next champ in a way he is driving but, is this the only thing?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
Michael Schumacher: what's the secret of his success?