New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

I have always rooted for the guy. But the alleged thing he said as highlighted in the appended article is troubling..... "An inspiring mix of innocence and arrogance" as the author was saying.... Whew! I am flushed!

"Can you read the words that are coming out of my mouth?" RH

4000:play_ball:

Smiling assassin Hamilton revives the art of feuding

Lewis Hamilton's innocent looks hide a fierce competitor who has outdone his rivals on and off the track.

by Simon Hattenstone October 3, 2007 1:31 AM

Has there ever been a face quite as misleading as Lewis Hamilton's? With the sweetest of smiles, pencil-thin sideburns and almost hairless face, he looks like a cherub in leathers. But don't be fooled. Hamilton is one of the toughest men in sport. At 22 years old, he has iron in his soul, ice in his veins and the most ferocious commitment to winning. And if winning means taking on his team-mate and current world champion, Fernando Alonso, in a game of Death Race 2007 so be it.
    I read this quote twice to make sure I wasn't hallucinating. "It will be interesting to see ... whether he [Alonso] will have the thing Michael Schumacher had, where he'll do anything - anything - ie he doesn't care whether he runs himself or anyone else on the grid off the road. Will he do absolutely anything? It will ruin his reputation more than mine, because I'd never do that. I want to win this fair and square."
    Brilliant. It has to be one of the most deadly character assassinations since Princess Di's on the royal family - and it's delivered with the same equanimity. In those few sentences, he has implied that: a) Alonso might be prepared to kill either himself or Hamilton to get one over him; b) that Michael Schumacher's seven world titles are down to gamesmanship at best, cheating at worst; c) that he, Hamilton, is the embodiment of all things, noble, pure and genius-like.
    It's easy to forget this is Hamilton's first season. Any normal formula one rookie would be bedding down quietly, paying due respect to his senior partner, and telling the world he's just happy to be here. Not Hamilton, though. He is as fearless off the track as he is on it - having badmouthed Alonso he can't escape him because they are team-mates. And his ego is positively turbo-charged.
    For a tyro to be such an accomplished feudster is rare indeed. Yes, Alonso has tried to drive him off the road; yes, he did the dirty on McLaren by threatening to turn evidence against them over Spygate; and yes, he has whinged for Spain this season about being ill treated. But Hamilton has happily chucked fuel on the fire. In an era when sports stars are trained to say nothing, Hamilton is a welcome blast of honesty, an inspiring mix of innocence and arrogance.
    We've not had a sporting feud like this in decades. It was well known that Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham did not talk to each at Manchester United, but nor did they talk about each other to the press. Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer exchanged punches at Newcastle, but that was just how they expressed affection - now they are happily reunited at West Ham United. Andy Caddick and Darren Gough may have bickered over who was the better England bowler, but there was a mutual respect. As for Sebastian Coe and Linford Christie, true, they despised each other while piling on the medals for Britain in the 1986 European Championships, but even so their feud didn't erupt till 2001.
    But these rows were relatively small fry. They certainly weren't a matter of life or death - as this one could be. The feud Hamilton and Alonso's most resembles is the one between their formula one predecessors Ayrton Senna (Hamilton's hero) and Alain Prost at McLaren in the late 1980s. "Metaphorically," Prost said at the time, "Senna wanted to destroy me." By 1989 they had dispensed with metaphors - forcing each other off the track at Suzuka in Japan. Eighteen years later, in Japan again, Hamilton voiced his fear that Alonso was out to get him. At the same time, he said that McLaren wasn't big enough for the both of them, and he wasn't going to be the one to budge.
    Not surprisingly, the formula one boss Bernie Ecclestone is loving it and has been waxing nostalgic about the golden age of Prost, Senna and formula one cojones. At the weekend, before Hamilton's victory, he announced that his dream scenario would be if Hamilton and Alonso smashed into each other on the last lap of the last race of the season, and the championship winner would be the one with most points at the time of the crash. Imagine the publicity, he said. Imagine. You'd almost think that Ecclestone had forgotten Senna died at the wheel of his car, smashing into a wall at Imola in the San Marino grand prix.
    Let's hope Ecclestone is denied his fantasy. With Hamilton leading by 12 points and only two races to go, it looks as if he will be the first rookie to win the world championship, the first British winner since Damon Hill and the youngest ever champion. Ecclestone should be satisfied that Hamilton has single-handedly revived formula one without wishing a pile-up on him. His achievements are phenomenal - not least in making this most boring of sports enthralling.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Hmmm, is BE wishing that Alonso die too?

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Alonso has already tried to hold him up before... so it's probably fair of LH to say that... although not wise. :lol:

And, yes... Michael Schumacher may have been a great driver, but it is well-known that he was a dirty tactician... risking life and limb, not only of himself, but others, in his unrelenting drive for success. Note the many run-ins he's had with Barrichelo over the years, and the infamous "stall" in Monaco... he's ruthless. It doesn't detract from his natural talent... but it's sadly true.

Of course, to slight two world champions with more collective titles and races under their belts almost anyone else... well... that takes extraordinary guts, or sheer arrogance...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Whew! with the recent issue about LH's driving antics behind the safety car in Fuji, resulting to a crash between MW and SV - it is to me "an inspiring mix of innocence and arrogance"......

4000:play_ball:

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ganyan talaga ang mga champion....they will do almost anything to win...and they are arrogant (confident?) enough to believe that they will win every time.

sometimes they go too far, yes, but those who are recognized as the greatest ever in their sports can do whatever it takes within the rules (and sometimes just a little bit outside them) to win.

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    I don't mind the arrogance or the dirty drivings stuffs. If F1 becomes the UFC of motorsports, that's cool! I'll take it!

It's the constant whining and crybaby stuffs that are ticking me off! You screw your team with $100 million dollars and you still expect a good car? Only an idiot will never figure out what hit him.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Well,- the celebration will have to wait until the Brazilian Grand Prix as our Boy Wonder was DNFed in the Chinese Grand Prix....

Funny thing is that he was asking to be pushed out of the gravel trap.... Well, not this time... (Remember that we was craned out in Hungaroring - which was wrong as he should not be taken out of the gravel trap there,- he was not endangering any driver...).... Same thing here,- he wasn't endagering anybody,- so "get out of the car".....

IMO,- that's karma for LH.....

"An interesting mix of innocence and arrogance"

4101:victory:

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    ^ bro, that was at Nurburgring.

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    I agree with Alonso's view that he will never win the Driver's Championship this year. His own pit crew must have been acting like the sloppiest pit crew in the paddock these days. I won't be surprised if a wheel nut will come off his car at Interlagos.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari View Post
    ^ bro, that was at Nurburgring.

Thanks bro. Ayos,- complete with pictures! Appreciate it!

Again, it was already a controversy then and more especially since he was the first to be assisted and he wasn't in a 'dangerous position'....

Well, not in Shanghai....

4101:victory:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Lewis Hamilton - 2007 F1 World Driver's Champion?