New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by artpogi View Post
    Remember that brouhaha in the US GP where only Ferrari and another team ran because the rest of the teams were concerned of a safety issue on tires and changes in track layout?

"Just for the sake of argument," what if Ferrari do the same thing, I mean pull out of one (only one) GP, as an act of protest against the FIA/WSMC.

hehehe...
    IMO, they cannot do that since they are behind both in the constructor's and driver's championship. If they did that, they might as well pull-out from the rest of the races this season.

Also, it seems they were hoping to dig out more evidence that will convince the FIA to penalize McLaren....

3404:surfing:

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    OK let me play devil's advocate for a second. Even though I agree that Mclaren is not completely guiltless here, from the FIAs perspective, they might be implying that possesion of information from Ferrari does not prove that the information was used for the benefit of Mclaren. That is the FIA could not prove one way or the other as to what extent that information passed to the upper echelons of Mclaren management or if it was used in a tangible way (such as car hardware).

If it did lay out penalties to Mclaren, whos to say the dispute will end there? Since its harder to prove fault when all the circumstances relating to the case happened off track which is no longer the jurisdiction of a racing body.

In short the FIA is declaring (for anybody who would listen) that its not getting its hands dirty settling a dispute that happened outside its jurisdiction. Anyway there are civil and criminal cases filed by Ferrari in both Italy and London so they may be letting the courts decide on that.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Ferrari spy on me - Stepney
    ''Someone gave away the designs but it wasn't me''

Nigel Stepney has turned the heat back onto Ferrari by claiming that his former Italian employer is still spying on him.

Michael Schumacher's sacked former chief mechanic, who is at the centre of the espionage saga that has scandalised Formula One, hit back at Ferrari just days after Maranello based chiefs expressed rage that McLaren escaped punishment for spying.

"Ferrari spy on me," Briton Stepney is quoted on Tuesday as telling the Italian newspaper La Repubblica.

He said he has again fled Italy, and revealed that he was followed 'the whole way' from Modena to France.

"They can do whatever they want to me but they have dragged my family into this," said Stepney, who claims he is the victim of a set-up.

He added: "Someone gave away the (780 pages of) designs but it wasn't me. Someone set me up and that person is still working for Ferrari.

"But I don't want to say any more because I only know part of the story. Ferrari knows everything."

Stepney also said the 'white powder' and accusations of sabotage are part of the set up.

"They put the powder in my pants pocket while I was taking a shower," he insists.

He said he only thought about joining a band of disgruntled Ferrari employees who wanted to defect to another team after his relationship with boss Jean Todt began to break down.

"It would have been led by my friend Ross Brawn," Stepney said.

He also revealed that he has accepted a new job outside of the sport, categorically ruling out joining McLaren after being labelled a 'McLaren informer' by Ferrari's Italian lawyers.

He said: "I do not like Ron Dennis. I met him only once and he suggested that I work for him."

Source GMM
    CAPSIS International
    http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...31150713.shtml

4. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Ayos itong kaso na ito.....

Ngayon, ang McLaren naman ang rumeresbak sa Ferrari. Pinapa-nullify ni RD ang points ng Ferrari sa Australian GP dahil illegal daw ang kotse nila noon.....

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Actually, I was really pleasantly surprised how fast McLaren was able to adapt to the new Bridgestone tyres and how fast they were able to improve the reliability of their engines. I am leaving this as it is for now.... until the 26th.....
    3303:shocked:
    Hehehe,- lover boy Flavio is thinking in the same line, regarding McLaren's quick adaptability to the Bridgestone tyres. I understand that the distribution of the car's weight is a big factor on how the tyres can be efficiently and effectively used. Theoretically, Ferrari should be leading all the teams in this respect because of its long history of testing with Bridgestone tyres.. Well,.......

Spy knowledge boosted McLaren - Briatore

Posted 07 August 2007 at 08:41 GMT

Flavio Briatore has suggested that McLaren was only able to keep up with Ferrari this year because of the spy scandal.

The Renault boss, who respectively beat McLaren and Ferrari for the world championships in 2005 and 2006, said he does not believe his counterpart Ron Dennis that no-one except Mike Coughlan at McLaren knew about the 780-page dossier of Ferrari secrets.

Briatore said the biggest disadvantage compared to Ferrari this year was its rivals' lack of knowledge of the Bridgestone tyres.

"Had I only known Ferrari's weight distribution, or how big their tank is, if I had a bit of those documents, then we surely wouldn't be in this situation today," the Italian told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

McLaren is currently subject to the suspicions of the FIA about the espionage saga, but Dennis insists that his suspended chief designer Coughlan acted entirely alone.

Briatore charged: "Dennis says he's immaculate, but it's hard to believe him. No, I don't believe in his good faith.

"In a team everyone knows everything."

He also criticised Dennis for not yet sacking Coughlan, while Ferrari has on the other hand dismissed alleged McLaren informer Nigel Stepney.

"It's an extremely serious thing that he hasn't yet been fired," Briatore said, referring to Coughlan.

"All the team managers should say that in F1 there's no more room for them."

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Another update... almost a month to go before we know the new verdict.

The International Court of Appeal (ICA) will meet in Paris on Thursday, September 13 to review the World Motor Sport Council’s recent decision not to penalise McLaren for possessing confidential Ferrari data.

The Council found McLaren to have breached the International Sporting Code through their actions, but imposed no sanction as it could find insufficient evidence that the team had made use of the data.

However, FIA President Max Mosley decided to refer the matter to the International Court of Appeal due to the importance of the case and because of claims that Ferrari had not had sufficient opportunity to put forward their version of events.

In fact, Ferrari and all other teams will be allowed to make any relevant submissions to the Court, and all have been invited to attend the hearing, along with members of the press.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The appeal to the ICA has been cancelled!

A new hearing will be held in light of new evidence... the question now is would it be against or for McLaren?

The FIA’s statement in full:
    Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
    FIA World Motor Sport Council Decision July 26th, 2007

Following the receipt of new evidence the World Motor Sport Council has been reconvened for a hearing in Paris on September 13th.

In accordance with its decision of July 26th representatives of Vodafone McLaren Mercedes have been invited to attend the hearing.

The FIA President’s referral of the matter to the International Court of Appeal has been withdrawn.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Sh*t! This is a whole can of worms... word is (in another article), they'll be calling Alonso and Pedro Dela Rosa to testify... Doesn't look good for McLaren... but if they're really guilty, they'll deserve to be kicked.

Wonder what'll happen to FA and LH? Maybe they'll allow McLaren to finish the season, but cancel all constructor's points? Then ban the team for one year? Hmmmm....

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Update:

McLaren facing large dossier of new evidence in spying scandal
    Edward Gorman, Motor Racing Correspondent

" The case against Lewis Hamilton’s Formula One team, McLaren Mercedes, over allegations that they have cheated this season by using secret technical information stolen from Ferrari consists of a large body of new evidence running to 166 pages in length, The Times has learnt.

As McLaren prepare for their appearance before the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Paris tomorrow, it has also become clear that the apparent “amnesty” offered to McLaren’s drivers in return for their cooperation in the FIA’s investigation may not save them from having points docked as part of the team’s punishment.

The dossier of new evidence collected by the FIA is thought to centre not just on e-mail traffic between the McLaren test driver, Pedro De La Rosa, and Hamilton’s teammate, Fernando Alonso, but also on details of the phone and text message traffic between McLaren’s suspended chief designer, Mike Coughlan, and the former Ferrari chief mechanic, Nigel Stepney, supplied to the FIA by the authorities in Italy.

Although the evidence does not include details of what was said in phone calls and texts, the FIA is thought to be able to demonstrate how the rate of calls and messages between Stepney and Coughlan allegedly matches e-mail traffic between Alonso and De La Rosa. The implication being that if the drivers needed a detail checked, they then referred the matter to Coughlan, who passed on queries to Stepney.

The scandal began in early July when Ferrari discovered by chance that Stepney had supplied Coughlan with a 780-page blueprint of Ferrari’s present race car and their research and track operations, an allegation Stepney denies. The information at the heart of the new evidence, however, predates the transfer of the dossier between Stepney and Coughlan in late April and is thought to centre on incidents in March.

It is understood that all 26 members of the WMSC received a copy of the new evidence last Friday, the same day that McLaren were given their own copy of the case against themselves. McLaren will face questioning from WMSC members at the hearing, where Ferrari will also be able to make their own submission before the Council considers its verdict and any sanction should McLaren be found guilty.

McLaren are expected to present a robust defence and will argue that the e-mail traffic was limited in scope and does not show that Ferrari information was used on their race cars. The view among sources close to the team is that the drivers have done nothing wrong and the case linking the e-mails with the phone calls between Coughlan and Stepney is tenuous.

As one source put it: “In terms of the drivers, they haven’t done anything wrong and certainly not done anything that would amount to a serious breach of the regulations.” He described the whole situation as a mess and said it would be very difficult for the FIA to prove its case. “I have no idea how they are going to demonstrate how McLaren used the information,” the source said.

Another element of McLaren’s defence is thought to be the proposition that if they are found guilty, then rival teams such as Renault should also be punished for reasons McLaren have not specified. McLaren’s lawyers have put this point to the FIA, but the organisation has made clear that it considers that irrelevant to its case against McLaren.

During the Italian Grand Prix at Monza last weekend, the FIA published a letter sent by its president, Max Mosley, to all three McLaren drivers requesting that they hand over information they may have had concerning the use of Ferrari information. The letter included the following: “I can confirm, given the importance of this issue, that any information you may make available in response to this letter will not result in any proceedings against you under the International Sporting Code or the Formula One regulations.”

This was taken, by some, to mean that both Hamilton and Alonso would not have championship points removed should McLaren be found to have cheated and the punishment would centre on constructors’ points and a fine. However, The Timesunderstands that this is not the case and that the FIA regards the WMSC as having a free hand when it comes to deciding on any sanctions. "

OT:
    And I saw in one of the news that McLaren is dragging Renault.... hehehe ...

3707:seesaw:
    Last edited by CVT; September 12th, 2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: I hope my " " works as I do not intend to be banned.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Ferrari's Stepney responds