New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ferrari are getting a bit fidgety in their top spot in both championships. the past 4 races have been dominated by williams and michelin.

with a week's testing ahead, ferrari is trying to find solutions to improve the performance of their package.

halfway past the seasion and with 6 races to go, the big question mark is when mclarens 2003 contender, the mp4/18, is going to make it's race debut. decision will come pending the results of an upcoming test. it would be trivial to note that ron dennis, mclaren boss, has revealed that the mp4/19 will be ready before the year's end.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Both bridgestone and ferrari should put their act together. But im happy theyre dominance is shortlived than expected. I hope williams continue their dominance 1996 pa ata last championship nila.

REgarding the mp4-18 theyre having problems with its crash test di makapasa. Series of tests will be done to ensure its reliability and it might with emphasis on might make its debut on the British GP. Worse case scenario according to mclaren, launching date might be as late as Italian GP. And theyre already making a mp4-19? Labo talaga ng mclaren camp

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, it's a good thing that the f1-2003 GA is not what it was cracked up to be. in france, i noticed that it was not the most balanced car, with schumi having to oversteer the car for directional change.

i also read that mclaren once again is testing the mp4-18 this week, but also issued a statement that the other new car, the mp4-19, will appear before the end of the season.

probably the mp4-19 will be an evolution of the mp4-18. the 18's race debut is still in question though.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I don't think McLaren is "malabo" for making the MP4/19. The blame here should go for the team developing the MP4/18, because they weren't able to finish on time. The team developing the MP4/19 is likely completely independent of the MP4/18 team.

Following what would have been the expected timeline:

MP4/17D as filler for first few races, MP4/18 racing this season while MP4/19 is under parallel development getting ready for next season.

instead, we got

MP4/17D racing for this season while MP4/18 development hits roadblock after roadblock. MP4/19 under development for next season ready sooner than expected, MP4/18 likely to become the least used car in GP History =)

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    maybe the mp4/18 is actually the mp4/19.....

and the mp4/17D is actually the mp4/18....

this would probably fit the "norm" of an F1 car's development cycle! :D :D :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    fyi, williams' last championship was in 97 with Villeneuve.

The McLaren cars are all created by Adrian Newey. He himself admitted that the reason for the delay of the 18 is because they underestimated the difficulty of developing bot the MP4/17D and MP4/18 simultaneously. My best guess is that the MP4/19 is more likely an MP4/18 modified to suit the changes in rules for the 2004 season. sabi rin ni Newey that the MP4/18 chassis can suit both the 400km-engine and gearbox used today and the longer-life engine (1200km lifespan) and gearbox to be used for the 2004 season.

i think both usokpower and I are quite happy that the Williams cars are doing well. They're finally living up to the hype that was built up when BMW came on board.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yes good news for williams another 1-2 finish adn bmw will extend their contract until 2009

i hope mclaren launches their mp4-18 asap its long overdue.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Jacques has a different opinion, btw. According to him the F2003GA is still the best car on the grid, but its being let down by Bridgestone. Since he's also on Bridgestones this bit has to count for something.

Last year's B tires were so good, even Jordan got a 5th place finish.

ferrari desperate and the mp4/19??