New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I agree, hence I mentioned that there are fast cars on a straight line... and fast cars that can also handle well...

A fast and agile car will be more forgiving to mistakes by the driver.
    I agree - cars with good handling are more forgiving.

Put differently, I have to be more precise with my steering and pedal inputs whenever I drive the MUX. If you're able to drive a PPV fast in corners, you'd be so much faster when you drive a crossover and sedan because you're already used to smooth inputs which is key to faster cornering.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    PPVs have had a significant power boost (without necessarily being heavier) due to VNT. Just as 10 years ago there was a big power bump too due to CRDi.

2010:
    Fort 2.5 - 102 hp
    Montero 2.5 - 134 hp
    Everest 2.5 - 136 hp
    Fort 3.0 - 163 hp
    Montero 3.2 - 165 hp
    Everest 3.0 - 160 hp

2020:
    Fort 2.4 - 147 hp
    Montero 2.4 - 178 hp
    Everest 2.2 - 160 hp
    MUX 1.9 - 148 hp
    Fort 2.4 - 178 hp
    Everest 3.2 - 200 hp
    MUX 3.0 - 177 hp

For compacts, not much change. In fact, the Altis has been using the same engine since 2011, while the Civic's engine has been the same since 2006. Not much revolutionary changes with econobox gas engines.

thanks. great perspective indeed. definately easy to be spoiled by powertoday and why its also easy to complain of vehicles being underpowered.👍😀

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    It's a pity that the Civic is now only a shell of its former self. Sadly, that once peppy junkie, clichéd-to-death VTEC engine, have grown to become a wine-sipping lurch because it's the politically-correct way.

It seems that, now's the era of sleeper 7-seaters taking out 5-seaters.... a Civic, no less.

Last edited by oj88; June 15th, 2020 at 09:09 AM.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    When even Honda has been using the same engines as is for over a decade, it seems that there isn't much more that can be done for the N/A gas engine. What I am interested in now are the standalone Atkinson cycle engines that the Koreans have been popularizing lately. Power levels are approaching standard Otto cycle engines and fuel consumption is something a similarly sized Otto cycle engine can only dream of!

Diesels have truly been improving by leaps and bounds lately. 200hp used to be unthinkable for the PPV segment not too long ago. Now even conservative Toyota is hitting 200hp with the latest Fortuner.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    It's a pity that the Civic is now only a shell of its former self. Sadly, that once peppy junkie, clichéd-to-death VTEC engine, have grown to become a wine-sipping lurch because it's the politically-correct way.

It seems that, now's the era of sleeper 7-seaters taking out 5-seaters.... a Civic, no less.

I get the point but it's not really fair to pit a small NA gas engine vs a turbo diesel...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    I get the point but it's not really fair to pit a small NA gas engine vs a turbo diesel...
    Also, the 2.8L turbo diesel engine of the Innova has more power and torque than the base model Civic 1.8L.

Let them try that against the Civic RS with its 1.5L turbo engine with around similar peak power as the Innova.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    In their heyday, 1990's - early 2000's stock NA Civics were already doing an average 16-17s on the quarter-mile.

And even though the engine is the big ticket item here, I'm referring more to the whole package. It was inevitable, I know. But it doesn't make it any less sad.

It's like seeing a once, finely-tuned athlete, succumbing to binge-watching Netflix.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The Civic FC 1.8L is a good all-around compact car but it’s not quick. Even the older EK or ES with its old 1.6L engine and the FD or FB with the 1.8L engine were decent in terms of performance but still not quick. The EK SiR, ES K20, and the FD 2.0 were much better in terms of performance - compact cars with engine outputs rated more for midsize cars.

If you want a quick Civic now, get the RS model. If you want a really quick and fast Civic, get the Type R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Egan101; June 15th, 2020 at 10:23 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009

honda is slowly turning into toyota before cranking out plain jane vanilla cars?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006

OA naman. The Innova is faster than all entry-level compacts here (except the Focus which is turbo across the board yet still doesn't sell). So it's not just the Civic.

The Civic 1.8 CVT is still faster than the Altis 1.6, Mazda 3 1.5, Elantra 1.6, and Sylphy 1.8.

And you're comparing the base model Civic. There's still the RS Civic which is today's SiR which easily outruns any PPV.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast