New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Joysticks will never replace steering wheels
    James May

This is what handling is really about in the broader sense; the ability of the machine to feed information back to our receiving apparatus so that we can act minutely on it.
    link to the article:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...ng-wheels.html

Nice written piece by Captain Slow
    Last edited by Negus; March 18th, 2010 at 12:32 PM.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Hahaha good read.

I remember Captain Slow writing a piece for an old issue of Top Gear magazine - also related to handling.

He said you can't indulge the handling limits of your car on the street - you'd be a git if you did - but the difference between a good-handling car and a bad one is akin to the difference between a good kitchen knife and a bad one. You do the same tasks with them, but the good kitchen knife makes the job more enjoyable.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Hahaha good read.

I remember Captain Slow writing a piece for an old issue of Top Gear magazine - also related to handling.

He said you can't indulge the handling limits of your car on the street - you'd be a git if you did - but the difference between a good-handling car and a bad one is akin to the difference between a good kitchen knife and a bad one. You do the same tasks with them, but the good kitchen knife makes the job more enjoyable.
    I actually got pissed when they removed his column from Top Gear PH to make way for more local content.

I can read Clarkson online, fer chris'sakes, give me Captain Slow! Sure, Clarkson's columns are always good for a laugh, but May's columns are often a better in-depth read.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Niky,
    Sadly Pinoy car magazine readership isn't so interested in documenting the joys of the driving itself. Just an observation.

Notice all the columns that have replaced those of James May and Paul Horrell...all concerned with car crime, legislation, traffic woes, etc. All serious issues, all totally unrelated to the fundamental act of driving and its minutiae. Ugh. Most of the time I avoid the columns section of Top Gear Philippines because it's like reading a bloody newspaper - NO FUN!

Sadly we don't seem to be a nation that derives pleasure from driving. If anything we treat it like a chore.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Niky,
    Sadly Pinoy car magazine readership isn't so interested in documenting the joys of the driving itself. Just an observation.

Notice all the columns that have replaced those of James May and Paul Horrell...all concerned with car crime, legislation, traffic woes, etc. All serious issues, all totally unrelated to the fundamental act of driving and its minutiae. Ugh. Most of the time I avoid the columns section of Top Gear Philippines because it's like reading a bloody newspaper - NO FUN!

Sadly we don't seem to be a nation that derives pleasure from driving. If anything we treat it like a chore.
    I guess it's part of TGP's thrust of being socially responsible and relevant to local concerns... but yeah... you could read most of those things in the newspaper if you wanted to. Since their thrust in the rest of the magazine focuses more on fun... it's strange that their editorials don't dip into humor and silliness more often.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Car Handling by James May