New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    So.......

I had a run in with a new model nissan GT-R early today in the C5. I was using my Q5. Knowing what i know about the GT-R i wanted to see how hard i could push my car and see how far in his dust i would be.

Basically he was weaving in and out of very light traffic and i followed him. You really appreciate the compactness of your own car and the wideness of that beast when you are behind. Had a much easier time following him. When he noticed me, i could hear him start to downshift and the revs of the Godzilla started to rise in prep for acceleration. I did the same thing.. made sure i was in sport mode with the gearbox in full manual and in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Let me say this. We both werent idiots and played it safe. If there is light or anykind of traffic....there is no way in hell the GTR will gap the Q5 unless you cut dangerously which we both never did. He could not get even a car length on me on short bursts. Anyway, somehow i found myself in front of him entering the long flyover going to Libis with a car separating him and me. When the road was totally clear (until greenmeadows), i gave it the beans . He had to wait a bit to clear the separating car. i could hear the GTR engine screaming but he wasnt able to overtake as i had hit a decent clip in that stretch.. We both had to slow down as the stop light was red. He made a left turn and i went straight.

Id no doubt be eaten alive on the sctex and tplex. But on Any other road.....the traffic evens everything out. Which makes me question why i even want to own one anymore.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk Pro
    That was quite epic, hardly would anyone have a chance to have a run in with a GTR in an unevenly fast car (in Manila) on a traffic-light day.

What was the top speed you hit in that sprint, did you get the chance to glance at the speedo?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    I hit 150 kmh in that stretch. After thinking about it (and watching more youtube videos) i think the GTR driver was holding back.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    I hit 150 kmh in that stretch. After thinking about it (and watching more youtube videos) i think the GTR driver was holding back.

May daga sa dibdib...

I once tailed a Porsche Macan on the Skyway. It was raining lightly on my way home that evening. I saw the Macan cruising past me so I give chase and drafted on its tail. We were weaving thru slower traffic. Once the traffic opened up before Sucat exit, it was already over 140kmh on my speedometer and the Macan was still accelerating and increasing the gap. I slowed down so as not to miss the Sucat exit. I was driving my Fiesta Ecoboost that night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    May daga sa dibdib...

I once tailed a Porsche Macan on the Skyway. It was raining lightly on my way home that evening. I saw the Macan cruising past me so I give chase and drafted on its tail. We were weaving thru slower traffic. Once the traffic opened up before Sucat exit, it was already over 140kmh on my speedometer and the Macan was still accelerating and increasing the gap. I slowed down so as not to miss the Sucat exit. I was driving my Fiesta Ecoboost that night.

Youre right. He that stretch is long enough for him to pass me easily.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Shouldn't the Tesla Model X also be included in this list?

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kawkaw123 View Post
    I now own a 2011 BMW 320D M Sport and I managed to get it from 0-100kph in around 7.6 seconds. Is that considered slow?

Also what do you own? And how long does your car take from 0-100kph?
    That’s good enough. You can’t expect something better. The BMW 328i 2.0L turbo gas is quicker though. If you want a much quicker BMW, get an M5 or M3.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    That’s good enough. You can’t expect something better. The BMW 328i 2.0L turbo gas is quicker though. If you want a much quicker BMW, get an M5 or M3.

I had a quick early morning spirited drive against an STi using my XT on Aguinaldo highway before.

I was the one in front, i can't gap him but he can't overtake me either. It was like a touge battle for maybe around 10 minutes. Sadly, i have to take my exit and slowed down for him to pass. He then flashed his headlights at me, which i did as well when he passed me acknowledging the fun and mutual respect we both had for each other.

He needs to extract every horsepower he can to pass me, and me on the other hand, need to use every single 230 horses i have to prevent him from passing me.

My point is, horsepower figures do not mean much in real world driving. Unless it's a straight open road in which the higher hp car can go flat out, we with the lesser hp cars can definitely give him a run for his money. hehe

8. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BlancNoir View Post
    I had a quick early morning spirited drive against an STi using my XT on Aguinaldo highway before.

I was the one in front, i can't gap him but he can't overtake me either. It was like a touge battle for maybe around 10 minutes. Sadly, i have to take my exit and slowed down for him to pass. He then flashed his headlights at me, which i did as well when he passed me acknowledging the fun and mutual respect we both had for each other.

He needs to extract every horsepower he can to pass me, and me on the other hand, need to use every single 230 horses i have to prevent him from passing me.

My point is, horsepower figures do not mean much in real world driving. Unless it's a straight open road in which the higher hp car can go flat out, we with the lesser hp cars can definitely give him a run for his money. hehe
    True. That's because most manufacturers only advertise the peak hp/tq values. It would help if we can see the power curve so we'd know what the power looks like across the entire rpm range. Then factor in the weight + transmission to closely predict which car would have an edge. But then again, dyno sheets mean very little unless they're done in the same exact location/day as there are many variables that may affect the results.

Also some German brands such as bmw and audi often underrate their engines. Nissan, for instance, the first time I saw them underrating their engine is with the VR30DDTT - except maybe for the skylines but that has a different story back then. It's actually good to see they're expanding this TT v6 to the nissan line up starting with the upcoming Z. That'll go head-to-head with the current "zupra." Honda will soon release their TT v6 starting with their acura line. Technically, they have one but in NSX. I doubt they'll put that on their mass-produced models. They're running a little late in the TT game btw.

The STi is quick but not really that fast on straight. It's better suited on track though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Acceleration Times: 0-60kph & 0-100kph