New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2005

Has the appeal of McLaren been rejected? "What a shame!"......

I have not seen a clear definition on what was violated during that 'resumption' and 'overtaking' incident in the race

6707:choir:

2. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

Has the appeal of McLaren been rejected? "What a shame!"......

I have not seen a clear definition on what was violated during that 'resumption' and 'overtaking' incident in the race

There is a big chance it will get thrown out. The penalty was supposed to be served as a drive-through, which is "unappealable".

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Finally napanood ko kung avertaking antic ni LH, tama nga na patawan sya ng violation kaso masayadong harsh ang penalty na binigay.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    first, this video

[ame="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ovii_wwwformulamagcom-hamiltonkimi_sport"]Dailymotion - www.FormulaMag.com - Hamilton-Kimi, a video from Budhardt. F1, Belgium, 2008, Hamilton, БельгиÑ?[/ame]

now on the 25 second penalty of hamilton.

on the actual "incident", where hamilton cut the chicane, hamilton did outbrake kimi on that chicane but kimi legally took his position as part of kimi's racing line. on that moment, hamilton actually has the options to avoid any physical contact between the cars 1) to brake more to let kimi take his racing line or 2) cut the chicane, overtake kimi and then let kimi regain his position prior to cutting the chicane. hamilton did the second option as the first option would result to kimi gaining more distance between the cars.

from what i've read, the penalty was not really a result of hamilton cutting the chicane but from him gaining an "unfair advantage" in doing so. in short, if hamilton did not cut the chicane, option 1 would have happened.

another opinion is on the manner hamilton actually gave the position back to kimi. he actually positioned himself so that when kimi regains his position, he will be immediately in kimi's sliptream. when this happened, hamilton only gave the position to kimi but not the advantage he gained in cutting the chicane.

and contrary to hamilton's claim that he lifted to allow kimi to pass, just watch the video.

now, i am not an F1 rules expert. i am not sure if cutting a chicane and in the process gaining a position requires a driver to give back both position gained to the car he overtook as well as the "advantage" or is he required only to give back the former??

another thing is in the process of giving back the position (in this case to kimi), is the offending driver required to lift the gas pedal or should the other car just step on his gas???

this case is just too technical. when i watched the race, i did not see any problems until "experts" cited the rules.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    He did momentarily gave up the position but not the advantage. He would have been way behind KR if he did not cut the chicane as he would have to brake hard to avoid collision with KR.
    Last edited by CoDer; September 11th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by CoDer View Post
    He did momentarily gave up the position but not the advantage. He would have been way behind KR if he did not cut the chicane as he would have to brake hard to avoid collision with KR.
    sabagay. although di nga nya inagaw yung position, madali naman syang nakatutok uli kay kimi at nakagain ng momentum to overtake. i now see the logic of the penalty.

pero still, if kimi just learned to drive in the rain without traction control, hindi na rin sana mangyayari yun.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by coiter View Post
    sabagay. although di nga nya inagaw yung position, madali naman syang nakatutok uli kay kimi at nakagain ng momentum to overtake. i now see the logic of the penalty.

pero still, if kimi just learned to drive in the rain without traction control, hindi na rin sana mangyayari yun.

Agree with this assessment now after watching the video which was presented above. In my F1-inexperienced eyes and ears, there was no let up in the rev and the way he was changing gears, so it was an advantage gained in that chicane, which was 'not relinquished', as judged by the race stewards.

LH and McLaren filed for an appeal. Let's see what happens....

8. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    *coiter: Abay kaya nga daw Kimi the Jinx sya eh!
    Last edited by CoDer; September 11th, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    maclaren will always be a chea$%r. "once a chea#*r always a chea#$r". joke lang to LH fans.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2005

McLaren's appeal was thrown out the door.... And here is what LH has to say....

from: http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...23101859.shtml

Lewis Hamilton spent the whole of Monday sitting through the McLaren appeal in Paris, facing a full hour of cross-examination from FIA and Ferrari lawyers.

The British championship leader, who had his Belgian Grand Prix victory controversially stripped by stewards, made it clear he is as unprepared to shy away from a tussle in a courtroom as he was on the Spa-Francorchamps tarmac earlier this month.

"I said what was on my mind as I was being talked down to, but by no means am I an idiot," the 23-year-old explained afterwards, before setting off to catch a flight to Singapore.

"I had a right to my opinion," Hamilton added, when asked about the manner in which he responded to Ferrari QC Nigel Tozzi's line of questioning.

Answering one of Tozzi's questions, Hamilton had said: "Are you a racing driver? No.
    I have been a racing driver since I was eight years old and I know pretty much every single manoeuvre in the book, and that's why I'm the best at my job."

"We're talking about a skilled driver under intense pressure making a split-second decision which no one, unless they are in F1, can comprehend," he added.

When Tozzi suggested that Hamilton should not "personalise" Ferrari's argument, the McLaren driver answered: "I beg to differ."

Source GMM
    © CAPSIS International
    Medyo maangas din ang dila .....

6808:frenchyf1:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
2008 Formula 1 ING Belgian Grand Prix