New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari
    What an absolutely boring race .... if you can even call it a race. The gaps were so wide the cars were absolutely cruising in the last 21 laps. Now that we've gotten rid of this one, I'm looking forward to my upcoming favorite circuit in 2 weeks time: MONACO!!!!
    boring nga! di ba parang mas boring sa Monaco? specially sa qualifying round? (sigurodong puros traffic yan).

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nabuhay si sir hens!

mas boring nga ang monaco with almost no overtaking chance... though medyo exciting dito kapag may accident... hehe... i remember yung schumi-jpm tunnel accident a few years ago. nakalabas na ang safety car eh si jpm yata nag try pa mag overtake.

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Monaco is the Hollywood of F1. And the circuit itself is a pleasant counter-programming and the nearest thing you can ever ask in having F1 cars racing in city streets. Man, I'll pay to watch F1 racing in the streets of San Francisco.

The number 1 attraction in Monaco is the CRASHES!!! Every F1 racing great had their own spectacular crashes here. From Aryton Senna, Alonso, to Schumacher. You can't run wide here, and the mayhem is always awesome. The last memorable crash here to me was the one when Fisichella's Sauber car made a mid-air forward somersault after colliding with Coulthard when the race track was covered with a smokescreen from Taku Sato's blown-out Honda. Imagine if Yuji Ide is still around by then.

They always say it's impossible to overtake in Monaco, which makes it boring. You probably didn't see Kimi Raikkonen's overtaking maneuvers last year when he won at Monaco. And also, there will always be slower cars that will be lapped, and so overtaking at high speeds will have to take place one way or another.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last year was the "no tire change" year, and that lead to a lot of conservative driving, worn tires and off-track excursions. That's probably one of the few years you'll see a lot of overtaking at Monaco.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda
    nabuhay si sir hens!

mas boring nga ang monaco with almost no overtaking chance... though medyo exciting dito kapag may accident... hehe... i remember yung schumi-jpm tunnel accident a few years ago. nakalabas na ang safety car eh si jpm yata nag try pa mag overtake.
    Actually, it was JPM spinning his wheels while Schumi braking hard at the same time (both were trying to keep the heat up on the tires).

Anyway, the race was really boring. When the leader is leading 10+ seconds and just lapped the scoring places...

6. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One
    Anyway, the race was really boring. When the leader is leading 10+ seconds and just lapped the scoring places...
    Yup, parang basketball, meron ding blow-out. Parang Detroit Pistons going to the 4th quarter lamang ng 30 points. Garbage time na. Pagkakaiba lang sa F1, kahit lamang ka ng 10+ seconds with 1 lap to go, tapos nag-ala-Jenson Button yung makina mo sumabog just a few feet from the finish line. It happens.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Ralf Schumacher is an idiot...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyFerrari
    Yup, parang basketball, meron ding blow-out. Parang Detroit Pistons going to the 4th quarter lamang ng 30 points. Garbage time na. Pagkakaiba lang sa F1, kahit lamang ka ng 10+ seconds with 1 lap to go, tapos nag-ala-Jenson Button yung makina mo sumabog just a few feet from the finish line. It happens.
    And I generally don't consider "pit strategy" to be racing. To extend the basketball analogy, that's like watching a freethrow shootout - technically it's a game, you could compete that way, but it's boring as hell. All the races so far were about "pit strategy".

9. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One
    And I generally don't consider "pit strategy" to be racing. To extend the basketball analogy, that's like watching a freethrow shootout - technically it's a game, you could compete that way, but it's boring as hell. All the races so far were about "pit strategy".
    While a head-to-head shootout is definitely a highlight in F1 (borrowing Steve Slater's term: mano-y-mano), it happens not quite often. I find the chicane overtaking not that exciting din. But i like pit-stop strategies, because you can see the beauty of holistic race planning strategy - and not just a mano-y-mano, man-to-man duel. Your heart is pounding trying to find out if Schumacher will exit the pits ahead of Alonso, for example.... and he does, by just a couple of yards!!! That would have sent me out of my seat as a priceless moment.

Pit-stop strategies give you a macro view of the race itself, not just the duels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2006 F1 Spanish GP