New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Hell, we even still use other, more recent but also outdated terms such as "Third World" and nobody seems to mind despite the negative, Cold War connotations. "Third World" is way less politically correct than "PI", but nobody seems to mind. It's not even like when the guys on Top Gear refer to the US or Australia as "the colonies".

Hell, take the name Philippines. Pilipinas. Felipenas. The word "Philippines" itself is of colonial origin, and came 300 years in advance of "PI". If "PI" shouldn't be used because it carries colonial connotations, neither should "Philippines". Why should we be so hung up on such a trivial matter? Sure, Philippines, or RP may be a tiny bit more PC than PI (not the Tagalog swearphrase, of course ), but why should be splitting hairs over it?
    Last edited by Alpha_One; March 14th, 2007 at 07:33 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Fallon's my hometown. It is a military thing because most Americans who've been to the Philippines are GI's. How does your cousin-in-law like Fallon? Culture shock? But the wild, desolate country has a charm of its own.
    I'd reply, but that would be OT.

OT: PM doesn't seem to work, or you disabled your PM.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Yes it was, but when was the last time you heard an American refer to their country as colonies?
    hehe

well, not american. But a british guy named Jeremy Clarkson.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wildthing View Post
    I'd reply, but that would be OT.

OT: PM doesn't seem to work, or you disabled your PM.
    OT:
    I have a little paranoia about security. So, no PM in this pc. But, what I meant was how much he/she liked the desert. Nevada as a whole is just like Mordor of the Tolkien tales. Yet, Fallon is like an oasis in the middle of all that.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    OT: I don't know about the desert thing but he does like Nevada's open range policy. That's also one of the reasons why I'd like to visit.

Sorry mods.

Back to PI.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    well for one thing, I just find it a bit different when some of my Fil-Am friends refer to our country as "PI". siguro hindi lang ako sanay at 'yun na ang nakagisnan nila. but then, its no biggie with me.

anyway kung contraction na lang ang pag-uusapan, definitely mas sanay ang tao sa "RP" dito sa Philippines.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    "Pinas" is a contraction that's just as short, and even easier (and a lot more natural). But I digress.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    until this thread, i wasn't aware that the term "PI" is offensive to some people. i hear it all the time, from pretty much everybody, so i thought it was a common and accepted term. personally, it doesn't bother me, but if it offends some people, i will stop using it. it's good to be PC.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Personally, I've never heard the term "PI" used to describe or to name the Philippines. I've always used RP...and I've lived in Canada since I was two years old! And I didn't even know that "PI" was seen as a derogatory. Good to know so as not to offend.
    Last edited by bluntman; March 15th, 2007 at 06:37 AM.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The thing to remember is if the person using the term is not intentionally being insulting, then that person should be cut some slack.

I mean when we visited Turkey, there were many occasions when I unintentionally used my left hand when I should've used my right. In Turkey, that's very insulting and I can be arrested for violating Turkey's "insult" law. But, all the Turks were pretty forgiving, seeing that I'm a foreigner (they kept calling me "Japon").

If PI is insulting then say so. I don't think anyone who've used the term are aware that it's insulting. Neither was I until this thread.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Why do Pinoys abroad refer to the Philippines as PI?