New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Try to come up with anything that is connected to Ninoy/Cory

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Parang lumayo na yung pinaguusapan sa topic...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Moving to the Philippines and setting up a business there is also a good option.

But, what's your lifeline in case the business option doesn't work out? Your wife may still have to take the military option while you and the kids set up a business in the Philippines.

That would cover most angles. It'll also test your marriage. Or maybe not. We're Pinoys. Many of us are used to being apart from our spouses for long periods of time.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Moving to the Philippines and setting up a business there is also a good option.

But, what's your lifeline in case the business option doesn't work out? Your wife may still have to take the military option while you and the kids set up a business in the Philippines.

That would cover most angles. It'll also test your marriage. Or maybe not. We're Pinoys. Many of us are used to being apart from our spouses for long periods of time.
    If she enlist then we won't be moving permanently but just during the time she is in basic and I will be having a 4-6 month vacation. She us talking to the recruiter for the Air Force or Coast Guard for now. But that is really plan B as my family who are retired military says it should be the last option. I really don't want to be away from my wife anymore because we had to endure a year of it after we got married.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Start with what you're good at. Your innate skills and passion(s). When you're happy with what you do, you'll never have to work. It'll be all playtime and money will be just a bonus. It will grow effortlessly. :-)

Good luck.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    If she enlist then we won't be moving permanently but just during the time she is in basic and I will be having a 4-6 month vacation. She us talking to the recruiter for the Air Force or Coast Guard for now. But that is really plan B as my family who are retired military says it should be the last option. I really don't want to be away from my wife anymore because we had to endure a year of it after we got married.
    It's only a year. Plus in this age of cellphones/video technology/computers, keeping in touch is a cinch. Heck, my wife (with our elder daughter) and I were apart for almost three years (with no visits) while I waited for her petition to come through. Then we were apart once more for two years; later after that. Back then, it was one phone call and one letter a month. But, we managed.

Personally, I think you should cover all your bases and shuffle the priorities a bit with the permanent move to RP as the last resort.

But, it's just a suggestion. In the end, you know what's best.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 4th, 2009 at 01:08 PM.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    [SIZE=3]computers & its accessories, MC spare parts (esp in the province), and gasoline station[/SIZE]
    Start with what you're good at. Your innate skills and passion(s). When you're happy with what you do, you'll never have to work. It'll be all playtime and money will be just a bonus. It will grow effortlessly. :-)
    [SIZE=3]very true . . . [/SIZE]
    Last edited by jjmd3_787; September 4th, 2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: tao lang po

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    It's only a year. Plus in this age of cellphones/video technology/computers, keeping in touch is a cinch. Heck, my wife (with our elder daughter) and I were apart for almost three years (with no visits) while I waited for her petition to come through. Then we were apart once more for two years; later after that. Back then, it was one phone call and one letter a month. But, we managed.

Personally, I think you should cover all your bases and shuffle the priorities a bit with the permanent move to RP as the last resort.

But, it's just a suggestion. In the end, you know what's best.
    Yeah were still thinking of which is the best thing to do. The wife is still talking to recruiters and we'll see from there. Just a question if she were to go in as an officer, would she still do boot camp or is that done in OTS?
    The good news I guess is I forgot about my TSP and if I withdraw it early even with penalties it would still add a substantial amount for us to have. We are still looking at the options at the moment but it's better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Best case scenario I guess is I try to hang on for another year before leaving my job.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by redorange View Post
    Yeah were still thinking of which is the best thing to do. The wife is still talking to recruiters and we'll see from there. Just a question if she were to go in as an officer, would she still do boot camp or is that done in OTS?
    The good news I guess is I forgot about my TSP and if I withdraw it early even with penalties it would still add a substantial amount for us to have. We are still looking at the options at the moment but it's better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Best case scenario I guess is I try to hang on for another year before leaving my job.
    I would guess it'll be in OTS at Maxwell for both Basic Officer Training and Commissioned Officer Training. I don't think your wife would go through Lackland.

Well, if you stay within the US and its territories, you can also make use of government support agencies such as drawing unemployment, WIC (if you have an infant/toddler), and food stamps. When times are tough, you swallow your pride and accept aid. I would accept them if things went bad for me. They would be the third option, though. The fourth and last option for me would be the whole tribe moving to the Philippines and living off my pension ( plus, my wife's family still have a lumber business there).

So, yep. I too have a plan in case things go bad for me.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; September 5th, 2009 at 07:57 AM.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Well that's kinda saying that I know nothing and only learned by watching TV and I don't have the right for my own opinion based on my own experiences. That means my own experience is irrelevant to the discussion and I shouldn't make my own conclusion.

For the record, I never mentioned anything about urging anyone to leave. My relatives left the Philippines way before their lives could become crappy. I wasn't even born yet during that time.

I don't like posts like this. People have to be realistic, some people like this country, some people don't. And there are less people who want to start a business here without remorse. Just leave or take whatever my opinion is. Take it, and it serves as a warning. Leave it, nobody gets harsh arguments. Maybe that's the cutural defect.

I respect your opinion on how crappy life in the US is, and you're equally free to make a thread about it.

Good luck on your future business.

BTW, a large internet cafe costs around 200k and if placed well enough, can pay for itself in about a year. It just needs to be in a secure location or provided tight security.

-unsubscribing-

lighten up dude

yo taking this way too serious

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
What's a good business to start in the Philippines?