New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by valvura View Post
    I'm not sure if this is out of topic bacause I'm one of the parents with children studying in UP, who were greatly affected by the recent tuition & misc fees increase. That tuition increase sa PUP was rolled back, bakit hindi ginawa sa UP? Cheaper pa ngayon magpaaral in some of the private (incl. sectarian) schools than in UP, is this what you call pro-poor? Mas marami pang koreans na nagaaral ngayon sa premier SU natin...
    Some students look for private scholarships or 'rakets' (student assistant, tutoring) to finance their education.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    its very hard to maintain high quality education especially in a state university like UP if the good professors and junior faculty keep on leaving the school because they are not well compensated as compared to other private universities (e.g. Ateneo, La Salle, UST, etc).

now the govt doesnt like to give a big chunk of money to a single state U as there are other state U's other than UP. so the salary of the professors of UP remains relatively the same. add to the fact that as govt employees, they are under the salary standardization policy so they cannot get high salaries outside of what is prescribed by the law.

in addition, state U's should also maintain infrastructures necessary to sustain instruction as well as R&D.

to come up with additional funds, the tuition fee was increased. this I think is the first increase in UP since the late 1980's. however, from what I gathered, income from tuition fee increase will only be used for projects and activities that will directly benefit the students (e.g. computers, internets, labs, etc.) and not for salaries.

and with the new UP Charter, UP campuses can now generate income by utilizing they assets. from what i've heard, UP has a lot of real estates from various land grants. they will probably use this to generate income.

also, under the new charter, UP will be exempted from the salary standardization of the govt. meaning they can offer competitive salaries to good professors.

however, the realization of the goals of the new charter will not happen over night. maybe a few more years for UP to self-generate more income.

the problem now is that UP did not receive the latest 10% increase in govt salary because of the new charter. but the salary of UP all employees have not yet increased even if it is allowed to do so simply because UP has no additional income as of now.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Compared to private universities, mababa nga ang salary ng mga faculty sa UP. AFAIK, a full Professor at UP receives a basic pay less than 30k. Compared sa counterparts niya sa Ateneo or La Salle, who reportedly receive twice that amount, mababa talaga.

But one thing though, most of them have obtained study grants abroad. Sa UP Manila where I studied, yung faculty ng Dept. of Social Sciences (Dr. Edberto Villegas pa ang Chair), halos lahat sila may graduate/post-grad degrees obtained abroad (Sorbonne Univ., NYU, etc)

I'm in favor of socializing tuition sa UP. Ang dami nang mayayaman diyan, and fair naman yung STFAP evaluators

4. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    why is that most people want to study in a very GOOD school but want to pay less? hindi ba pang-iisa yun? if one is really intelligent, he'll know that there's no such thing as a free lunch. the concept is simple: buy quality goods/services, you pay more. buy substandard goods/services, you pay cheap.

although, some people argue na pano naman ako o anak ko na matalino naman pero hindi mabigyan ng opportunity. well, hello that attitude is elitist in nature too bec. you view yourself or your son/daughter as somehow gifted/deserving than others.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Galactus View Post

....yung faculty ng Dept. of Social Sciences (Dr. Edberto Villegas pa ang Chair).....
    Dr. Villegas used to be my teacher and adviser in De La Salle-Manila Graduate School...he is good...an excellent professor of Development Studies...

I think is high time for UP to give higher salaries to UP Professors like Dr. Villegas, Dr. Diokno, Dr. Balisacan etc...

Mas may pakinabang tayo sa mga magagaling na prof sa mga Universities compared to our good-for-nothing government officials, congressmen, senators and corrupt public officials (ironically marami galing sila sa UP..)

6. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    why is that most people want to study in a very GOOD school but want to pay less? hindi ba pang-iisa yun? if one is really intelligent, he'll know that there's no such thing as a free lunch. the concept is simple: buy quality goods/services, you pay more. buy substandard goods/services, you pay cheap.
    So, when haggling for as many freebies as possible from the sales agent when purchasing a new car at the showroom, 'di ba pang-iisa din yun, especially if the customer threatens to buy someplace else? And yet most, if not all customers, do it all the time. Why not chastise them, too?
    Last edited by Bogeyman; September 26th, 2008 at 01:49 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdm View Post
    Mas may pakinabang tayo sa mga magagaling na prof sa mga Universities compared to our good-for-nothing government officials, congressmen, senators and corrupt public officials (ironically marami galing sila sa UP..)
    Karamihan kasi sa kanila galing sa College of.... HEHEHE.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    So, when haggling for as many freebies as possible from the sales agent when purchasing a new car at the showroom, 'di ba pang-iisa din yun, especially if the customer threatens to buy someplace else? And yet most, if not all customers, do it all the time. Why not chastise them, too?
    pang-iisa talaga yun. sabi ng ibang sales agent, kung sino pa daw yun bumibili ng mga entry levels like vios or city, yun napakadami hiling vs. yun bumibili ng top of the line or suvs.

i'm one of those who believe na hindi na dapat sagarin ang sales agent.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    pang-iisa talaga yun. sabi ng ibang sales agent, kung sino pa daw yun bumibili ng mga entry levels like vios or city, yun napakadami hiling vs. yun bumibili ng top of the line or suvs.

i'm one of those who believe na hindi na dapat sagarin ang sales agent.
    Libre na may sukli pa. HEHE. sa akin, hindi naman pang-iisa yun. you're just getting more of your money's worth. di ba? Pero OT na tayo.

Kasi sa palagay ko, kung madiskarte talaga, sa dami ba naman ng raket na pakalat-kalat dyan, tingin ko makakapagbayad ka ng tuition fee sa UP eh. pero syempre, tantsahin nung estudyante kung ano kaya nya.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    the problem lang naman kasi with getting more than what you paid/invested for, mukang nadadala sa pagtanda. like for example, pag naging official na yun tiga-UP either private or public institution, puros demand like you deserve it like a given right.

ok lang yun sulit paminsan-minsan. but not all the time, give and take. try to appreciate the services of the people around you, kahit lugi ka paminsan-minsan. if the agent was very courteous pakainin mo or appreciate him.

ako nga, agent na ang nagbebenta ng kung anu-ano sa'min. ako pa taya minsan sa lunch or dinner meet. i don't mind bec. the long term relationship with the agent also matters.

like in school, if you really care for the welfare of the school and your professors. yun tinaas ng tuition mapupunta din sa kanila and in return will provide better services to you .

wag yun puro kabig. there is danger in that also kasi pag bata ka pa ganyan na mentality mo, what more sa future.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
UP and the SUCs: Anti-Poor???