New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

View Poll Results: Should political election survey results be banned from going public?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ok to let survey results to be known

10 43.48%
  • Better to let survey results stay hidden

12 52.17%
  • No opinion

1 4.35%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    [SIZE="4"]Should Philippine political election survey results be banned from going public?[/SIZE]

The argument is that political surveys have become just another propaganda tool for political candidates. A survey done "here" said "this" and another survey done "there" would say the total opposite.

What is your say?
    Last edited by ghosthunter; April 27th, 2010 at 06:16 PM.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    They should be allowed its part of democracy. Even in the US (Republicans vs Democrats vs Independents) and other more "MATURED" political systems surveys are very common... Only losers complain of surveys but when has surveys failed in predicting results? Unless super close ng laban na pasok pa sa survey margin of error...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Yes, for me.

For some, surveys are their basis on who are they are voting.

Kaya if political surveys are stopped, Filipino men, especially the poor can now balance and think about on who should they vote.

For example ...

Q : Who will you vote ?
    A : ***********************
    Q : Why ?
    A : Because he's popular. Siya yung top sa surveys, so magaling siya.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    The argument is that political surveys have become just another propaganda tool for political candidates. A survey done "here" said "this" and another survey done "there" would say the total opposite.

What is your say?
    I would say if it affects the decision of the people on whom to vote then I guess it should be banned.

Anyway, I never really trusted those surveys even frrom the past elections. I vote whom I feel is qualified.
    Last edited by Taurus; April 27th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Has anyone here participated in any of the surveys from SWS, Pulse Asia, etc? Or anyone you knew have participated?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boybi View Post
    Has anyone here participated in any of the surveys from SWS, Pulse Asia, etc? Or anyone you knew have participated?
    My college prof claims to have been part of the survey but that was back in 2004... Perosnally besides him wala na akong kilala...

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nope! whiner lang at sore loser ang ayaw magpalabas ng survey result or kulelat, if that said candidate is leading, I'm sure hinde lalabas ang issue sa survey results.

based on the results of the top survey firms, wala pa naman nag contradiction sa results nila eh.

leading pa rin mga leading, kulelat pa rin ang mga kulelat.
    Last edited by shadow; April 27th, 2010 at 08:31 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I would still allow political surveys to be made and the results published if and only if the full process is made transparent (without giving away the identities of the respondents, of course).

Transparent here means fully disclosing the process used, including the manner of respondent selection and the way the survey was done: was there a questionnaire that needed to be answered? How (i.e., fill-in the blanks, multiple choice, etc).

I'm sure the people in PulseAsia and SWS are extremely smart. However, without fully disclosing the process, I get suspicious of the accuracy of the whole exercise.

Case in point: there are around 42,000 barangays in the Philippines. The survey sample size ranges from 1,500 to 2,000 individuals. Heck... not even 5% of the total number of barangays were represented! How could the proponents therefore say that the sampling done is fully representative of the full demographics of the Philippine's voting populace?

Next... do the questionnaires used reflect the voting scenario? Are these similar to the ballots? Or are questions phrased in a particular way? Are respondents given the questionnaire and left to their own devices to answer... or do the field staff do some sort of briefing while the survey is going on? How can we be sure that the field staff are not doing partisan work in the background?

Finally... how about inviting an outside entity to do the surveys? As in, a non-Philippine based organization. For all the touted independence of the local survey firms. I'm sure it cannot be disregarded that objectivity is not met 100% of the time... and anything less than 100% objectivity (even if it is 99%) is not good enough. After all, the circles of influence of both survey practitioners and politicians intersect in this country of ours.

So... my response... continue to allow political surveys to be conducted and the results publicly published only if a totally full disclosure of the process is made.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalron View Post
    I would still allow political surveys to be made and the results published if and only if the full process is made transparent (without giving away the identities of the respondents, of course).

Transparent here means fully disclosing the process used, including the manner of respondent selection and the way the survey was done: was there a questionnaire that needed to be answered? How (i.e., fill-in the blanks, multiple choice, etc).

I'm sure the people in PulseAsia and SWS are extremely smart. However, without fully disclosing the process, I get suspicious of the accuracy of the whole exercise.

Case in point: there are around 42,000 barangays in the Philippines. The survey sample size ranges from 1,500 to 2,000 individuals. Heck... not even 5% of the total number of barangays were represented! How could the proponents therefore say that the sampling done is fully representative of the full demographics of the Philippine's voting populace?

Next... do the questionnaires used reflect the voting scenario? Are these similar to the ballots? Or are questions phrased in a particular way? Are respondents given the questionnaire and left to their own devices to answer... or do the field staff do some sort of briefing while the survey is going on? How can we be sure that the field staff are not doing partisan work in the background?

Finally... how about inviting an outside entity to do the surveys? As in, a non-Philippine based organization. For all the touted independence of the local survey firms. I'm sure it cannot be disregarded that objectivity is not met 100% of the time... and anything less than 100% objectivity (even if it is 99%) is not good enough. After all, the circles of influence of both survey practitioners and politicians intersect in this country of ours.

So... my response... continue to allow political surveys to be conducted and the results publicly published only if a totally full disclosure of the process is made.

+1 To this. The entities conducting the survey should likewise disclose who commissioned it.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    the question is why should they be banned? so what's wrong if it influences people? Last time I checked we live in a democratic country right?

Are we barking at the wrong tree here? If we want to create intelligent voters here, we should start by educating the masses.. so have we done something to help educate them?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Should political election survey results be banned from going public?