New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Napaka stressful naman nun. Dudugo ang ilong sa responsibilidad.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Huh? No one here interested in meteorology? I feel so lonesome.
    when i was a kid, during summer vacation, i would spend hours lying on the ground looking at clouds... forming animal shapes

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Be an Air Traffic Controller. It's like a call center on steroids.
    At least you get to work with airplanes. With my eyesight and flat feet, I had no chance of getting into the USAF like I wanted to when I was a kid....

Oh well. I'm afraid of heights, anyway. :hysterical:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    At least you get to work with airplanes. With my eyesight and flat feet, I had no chance of getting into the USAF like I wanted to when I was a kid....

Oh well. I'm afraid of heights, anyway. :hysterical:
    I'll betcha if you joined, they would've found a niche for you where heights aren't a concern.

Fear of heights is nothing. You think that's strange? I knew someone who constantly washed his hands and took Polaroids of every dump he took. That's not the scary part. What's scary is he was my supervisor.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uls View Post
    when i was a kid, during summer vacation, i would spend hours lying on the ground looking at clouds... forming animal shapes
    I still do up to now. The same is true with many of the younger forecasters.

Sometimes when they analyzed weather charts either on the pc or (with felt-tip markers) on hard copies, we wondered if they were purposely making the analysis look like female/male body parts.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Be an Air Traffic Controller. It's like a call center on steroids.
    Mas exciting naman na trabaho yan!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    Napaka stressful naman nun. Dudugo ang ilong sa responsibilidad.
    Stressful? Ohhh yes. It's very stressful to the core and you carry the weight of some very heavy responsibilities.

But if you can make it as one, you'll be in demand especially if you're multi-lingual (again, something related to call centers).

Plus, the pay abroad is very good. Graduates often have good prospects. Here in the US, I think starting pay for someone with little or no experience is something like $50k a year and could reach as high as $145k a year in the highest grades. Average pay for an ATC with several years of experience is around $90k a year. Chances are you'll also work for the FAA (read: the Feds). That means between the generous benefits, job security, retirement, other perks which go with being "in the system" and the actual salary, you're set. All you have to do is earn the pay.

I seriously thought about being an ATC when I was younger.... But, I heeded other callings.
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; November 28th, 2009 at 11:55 AM.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Yup, I heard from a friend working in that industry that we are in dire need of ATC's as our airports are too understaffed/overworked (== recipe for disaster).

Unfortunately, there aren't enough qualified people and for those who pass, most decide to work overseas after just a few years of experience. They even prefer to work in those poor African countries because pay is much better than staying here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
RP becoming a sweat shop?