New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by safeorigin View Post
    how exactly will they know if someone is distracted or not?

the assumption is, using the cellphone while driving, distracts the driver from his driving.
    and anyone who says otherwise, is lying thru his teeth.
    some billboards have been requested to be brought down, because they distracted the driver...

2. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    how will they know where the person is looking at all times then?

how will they know where the person's attention is centered at?

hate to burst your bubble but everywhere you look and hear, it's bound to be Huxley level of distraction
    Damn, son! Where'd you find this?

3. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    when you talk to your cellphone, your mind is automatically forced to do three things at the same time... drive, listen and process the conversation, and answer intelligently. it's like conversing with your passenger... you have to think, distracting your concentration from your driving..
    of course, one can thoughtlessly answer... "yes".. "you do that".. "uhmmm ok"...
    only later will it dawn on you... "what did i just say?" "who was i talking to?" "did i just give away my inheritance..?"
    heh heh.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    when you talk to your cellphone, your mind is automatically forced to do three things at the same time... drive, listen and process the conversation, and answer intelligently. it's like conversing with your passenger... you have to think, distracting your concentration from your driving..
    of course, one can thoughtlessly answer... "yes".. "you do that".. "uhmmm ok"...
    only later will it dawn on you... "what did i just say?" "who was i talking to?" "did i just give away my inheritance..?"
    heh heh.
    So talking with passengers should also be prohibited?

Distraction is not just a binary on/off thing. There are varying levels of distraction and the objective is to prohibit significant distractions while acknowledging the breakthroughs in technology that have allowed previously major distractions to become mere minor distractions that do not impair driving ability severely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    heh heh.
    So do we ban passengers altogether or just put a gag on our respective mouths (both driver & passenger) so that there is assurance that no one gets distracted.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    so if they will ban the use of cellphones even if used with bluetooth head sets or via the HU, should they not ban airplane pilots from communicating with the control tower also? may head set din yun.

has anyone read the law already? does it totally ban or are there exemptions like if the phone is used with bluetooth devices?

7. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Wala pa namang IRR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post
    Pero for me,- such "phone discussion",- even if hands-free is a distraction while driving...
    That's why there are automated text/voice messages that say the phone owner is busy driving and cannot answer the phone. My wife only answers the phone when I'm the one driving.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    so if they will ban the use of cellphones even if used with bluetooth head sets or via the HU, should they not ban airplane pilots from communicating with the control tower also? may head set din yun.

has anyone read the law already? does it totally ban or are there exemptions like if the phone is used with bluetooth devices?
    i wouldn't dream of riding in a plane whose driver (pilot, heh heh) does not wear headphones.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomzoom View Post
    So do we ban passengers altogether or just put a gag on our respective mouths (both driver & passenger) so that there is assurance that no one gets distracted.
    ikaw ang nagsabi niyan!
    if you think you can't stop yourself from talking to the driver and bothering him, yes, a gag over your mouth would be a good idea. heh heh.

i remember when we were very young.. mom would warn us, "don't make noise! daddy's driving."

but seriously. in the olden days, buses had a sign close to the bus driver, "do not talk to driver while bus is in motion".
    one did not shout to the driver, "driver, para!" there was the conductor for that. he does the communication with the driver via their own special code, not the passenger. he was knocking on the lawanit ceiling long before tony orlando made it popular.
    Last edited by dr. d; June 4th, 2016 at 04:03 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast